back to article Apple Watch rationing caused by the MOON GOAT, not quality

Apple's Watch may not be a buggy, broken mess after all - and those adjectives can instead be applied to human resources practices at Taiwanese OEM Quanta. That's the inference being drawn after Quanta vice chairman CC Leung uttered the words below to Digitimes: Because of labor shortages during the Lunar New Year holidays, …

1. skeptical i
    Devil

Misread "Apple Watch drip-feed"

as "Apple Watch deep fried", which could also have explained various reported issues with the jazzbangle.

2. Khaptain Silver badge
    Coat

Deep within Apple HQ

Ok guys we have to come up with a reason for the poor results.

Lack of consumer interest

Incapacity to create a Buzz

Boring and useless product

Wait , wait I know, let's blame it on the moon.. Those suckers believe everything that we throw at them anyway..

1. Gordon 10

Re: Deep within Apple HQ

Errr remind me which poor results they are again?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't Apple have been informed of this?

Releasing the Watch at a time where there would be many workers taking vacation during a period critical for getting stock up to launch levels seems like a bad decision on their part. I'm not aware of any particular reason why they had to release it in April, rather than May.

4. Richard Jones 1
    Joke

iClairvoyant Faliure

Sounds like a failure in the new iClairvoyant application to me. I mean how hard is it to predict mass social events without a special application?

Answer; Dead easy for those who interact with real people in different locations; for the rest there should be iClairvoyant.

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

We're DOOMED!!

Oh, wait, moon goat, not giant mutant star goat.

OK everyone, get off that B-ark, false alarm

6. Six_Degrees

Oh, bullshit.

Every single Apple release over the last several years has proclaimed itself the victim of "shortages." We're supposed to believe that the Masters of Supply Chain Management can't do a simple estimate of demand.

This is manufactured scarcity, created deliberately in order to gin up excitement and buzz. Period.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

: Oh BS

As 6 degrees noted, creating fake shortages is an old trick.

This is just an iTracey iSland/iCabbage Patch Watch for the older children.

(Actually, probably the same ones, just that they're a lot older now).

2. Thomas Wolf

Yes, every phone - including the single most successful smartphone model ever - which hardly needed "manufactured scarcity" in order to sell well. Could it possibly be that it *is* difficult to manufacture 10m units of anything - much less complex electronics - in a short period of time?

The Apple Watch uses new manufacturing techniques and probably a new mix of suppliers. It is not surprising that there are birthing problems. I think this is much ado about nothing.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No ones forcing Apple to build in china

God forbid they should consider building their kit in the west, that might create jobs for normals! Can't have that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No ones forcing Apple to build in china

It would be even harder to build quantities here at the level Apple needs. If they did it probably wouldn't create many jobs once the plant was built & equipped, as it would be cheaper to automate production.

8. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Lunar holiday affected production?

Just how long was this holiday?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lunar holiday affected production?

About a month.

The new year celebration runs something like 15 days, but the factories pretty much shut down for a month to allow for travel time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like