back to article With FTC suit looming, AT&T backs off on throttling 'unlimited' data plans

AT&T has apparently had a rethink regarding its policy of limiting data transfer speeds for heavy users who subscribe to its so-called unlimited data plans. The US telco giant now says it will only throttle mobile data gluttons when they are in areas with heavy traffic. The reworded policy, which AT&T customers first began …

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    FAIL

Yeah, well, to fair....

"AT&T, on the other hand, has argued that not throttling data speeds for bandwidth hogs would result in slower download speeds for all customers (and to be fair, other telcos have made the same case)."

To be fair, they and their ilk brought it on themselves by using a common word like "unlimited" in a limited sense in their marketing. The man in the street sees "unlimited" and takes it at face value. Unlimited data. The ISP meanwhile, wriggles out of it by saying the connection time is unlimited, not the data throughput and the customer feels ripped off. (AOL were good at that one in the dial-up days too)

Of course, we all know that words can have many meanings and nuances but marketeers are masters of mis-leading advertising and using words in unusual ways with the intention of deceiving the punters while holding their hands up in all innocence that "of course we didn't intend that, we had no idea people might read it that way, none of our focus groups told us that!"

(Apologies to any El Reg marketing staff reading this. You could always get a proper job :-) )

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Yeah, well, to fair....

No. "unlimited" has NO meaning of "well, unlimited until you hit the unstated arbitrary limit"

At least Verizon had the decency to stop the "unlimited" contracts a while ago.

My T-Mobile contract is "effectively unlimited" but they clearly state in bold print that when I hit 5Gb in 3 weeks, then my service goes from 3G to EDGE.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Headmaster

Re: Yeah, well, to fair....

All you can eat restaurant - but the plates get smaller and smaller...

'Unlimited' is such an easy word to understand for *everyone* except telcos. I blame the modern education system,

2. Bob Dole (tm)

Statement is still meaningless

"As a result of the AT&T network management process, customers on a 3G or 4G smartphone with an unlimited data plan who have exceeded 3 gigabytes of data in a billing period may experience reduced speeds when using data services at times and in areas that are experiencing network congestion."

This statement is essentially meaningless. What does "network congestion" mean? 90% utilization? 50% utilization? 25%? Also the new wording doesn't match with what the article makes of it.

Regardless, the FCC needs to pursue this will every tool available. The word "Unlimited" has a pretty clear definition and ANY throttling on those plans needs to be turned off. If they are over selling their network then that's entirely on them and they need to upgrade it.

1. RHOmea

Re: Statement is still meaningless

Exactly. It's a preemptive PR statement that still allows them to to whatever they want, whenever they want. Just trying to keep FTC off their backs as long as possible while still throttling usage. It's a bloody corporation and as such it's raison d'être is profit. So why do people act so surprised when it does anything it can within the law (one hopes) to carry out its charter?

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! "

-- Captain Renault

3. crayon
    Meh

"'Unlimited' is such an easy word to understand for *everyone* except telcos. I blame the modern education system,"

So only the telcos have had the benefit of the modern education system? The blame lies squarely with the telcos and their marketing droids.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like