back to article Facebook uses Nokia maps in mobes, Instagram and Messenger

Facebook, mentioned as a potential buyer of Nokia's HERE business unit, isn't waiting around for a sale and has signed a deal to integrate the Finnish corporation's maps on the mobile version of its site, as well as in Facebook Messenger and Instagram on Android. HERE is the business unit consolidating Nokia's mapping and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Please, Please, pretty please....

...Do NOT sell HERE to Facebook. It is very, very, good, it works brilliantly and I don't want to "sell" my travel data to that lot.

1. Adam Hammerton
      Happy

Re: Please, Please, pretty please....

Here, here!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

First, the only part of HERE that captures data from users is Traffic.com, which you voluntarily give.

The only reason Facebook would buy HERE is because they want to secure their ability to get map data.

Once they have the map data, they will end up getting your travel data and other information about you just as google already gets it. (Every address you look up, every travel plan, etc ... all tells something about you.) Think about it. Google knows how far you're willing to drive to try a new restaurant, or to shop at a specialty store. What stores you buy from...

Facebook doesn't need to buy HERE to get the map data and other companies that have arrangements with HERE may now step up because they may not want to deal with Facebook.

As an example... suppose you're a car manufacturer and use HERE data for mapping tech. If Facebook buys HERE, what sort of agreement must you now do with Facebook to get the data? Add a Facebook app to your vehicle and then be required to submit captured data and analytics back to Facebook so that they can track you and other non Facebook people? Think about that for a second.

Ford, GM, Mercedes, BMW, VW and any other car manufacturer who has a negotiated deal with HERE could now want to step up and buy the mapping business.

Posted ANON for the obvious reasons.

3. Kurt 4

Well it's for sale so who would you rather have your travel data, facebook, google, apple, or microsoft?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

None of the above.

They all purchase the data so why buy the cow?

Its cheaper to buy the milk and not the cow. ;-)

If you can read the WSJ, there's another group of bidders that I alluded to yesterday... ;-)

Now you know why I posted anon...

2. Aoyagi Aichou
    Big Brother

Assimilated

Well, one more company to be absorbed by one of these giants. My expectations from consumer technology are very low, so this doesn't surprise me... I'm more concerned with what will happen to all the data that HERE users have provided to the company and what will happen to the pre-facebook installations.

Edit: Assuming the deal is there and goes through.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Assimilated

The reason for buying HERE isn't Traffic.com but for the map data. (Street maps and even the 3D stuff).

Building and maintaining accurate maps isn't easy.

Facebook doesn't need traffic, they can do that themselves. They need the map data because they need you (Gruberites)* to keep their app open on your mobile phone. They need to be able to increase their ability to capture more data about you and your travel/shopping habits and to be able to have more opportunities to show you ads. (That's how they make money)

*Gruberite == Someone who fits Gruber's view of people as being stupid.

Posted Anon for the obvious reasons.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

profit

Actually, HERE was profitable in the last quarter. I wish Nokia would not sell it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: profit

The Map group and Traffic.com has always been profitable, or so I've been told.

Nokia is looking to sell because it doesn't fit their core model.

If you can read the WSJ, it seems their source is spot on. They are claiming a consortium will buy it... I honestly didn't see that coming.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like