back to article NSA-restraining US law edges closer to reality, leaves just 6.81 billion under mass surveillance

A law bill to mildly curb the NSA's blanket surveillance of innocent Americans has taken an important step toward being passed. On Thursday, the US House of Representatives' justice committee voted 25 to two in favor of a revised version of the USA Freedom Act – the original was killed last year in the Senate. Now it's …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

"The intelligence services would have to ask telcos for specific data about an individual or a specific device if there is a "reasonable, articulable suspicion" of wrongdoing."

Or how about producing a court order? Just sayin...

2. Mark 85

It would appear then that basically, they are doing nothing except maybe tightening the screws a bit... waxing the paint job and making themselves feel good.

I'm sure someone will be by shortly to set me straight on why this is a major reform and a good thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It sounds more like the major reform would be to let the Patriot Act simply expire. One of the few times where the recent partisan gridlock would actually be beneficial. Unfortunately, it's far too likely that the security theatre will continue.

3. silent_count

How about the scenario where a Foreignland's intelligence agency spies on US citizens, US intelligence agencies spy on Foreignland's citizens, then they swap homework? If there's nothing to prevent that, then this bill is little more than theatre.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

America Fuck Yeah!

.....Mass surveillance of 6+ billion because we're all potential T's... Or are we Z's, because zombies better sums up how this is being packaged and sold to us.

.....Meanwhile the spying apparatus rolls on monitoring opponents of TTIP, and providing illegal tracking / interception / espionage of Euro, Brazilian and Mexican interests etc etc.

.....America Fuck Yeah!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: America Fuck Yeah!

I do feel that I need to have my data-packets on record in your online 'threat or zombie database' to state that I am not yet an opponent of TTIP and I doubt that I will be in the near future an opponent of TTIP so would the nice Intelligence community stop sending me email with a vcalendar function that automatically mails 19024 of my colleagues, thanks.

p.s. it didn't work, please try harder

5. Howard Hanek

Time to Resurrect Dead Languages

Either that or expand cryptology education for personal use.

6. Christian Berger

How do they find out if you are an US citizen?

I mean I have a friend in Nevada who is on a very bad phone line. Given how low flatrates from Germany to the US are, it would make sense for him to route his outgoing phone calls via a VPN through my flat in Germany.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Big Brother

Another nail in the coffin of Safe Harbour

...and some people still think non-US data is "safe" on US based servers?

1. Mark 85

Re: Another nail in the coffin of Safe Harbour

Given the revelations of late, I don't think anyone's data is safe on any server, anywhere in the world as everyone is slurping like a starving man at a buffet.

Which makes me wonder... if all the "security" agencies world wide suddenly stopped slurping, would every companies' broadband bill suddenly drop? Would the 'Net be less congested?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legitimate basis

There is a legitimate and legal obligation to monitor crims, terrorists and wannabes so hating on the authorities is pure ignorance.

1. Mark 85
      Facepalm

Re: Legitimate basis

Oh my <$DEITY>!! You are right because everyone is a crim, terriorist, or soon will be...

How about get a frikkin' court order for those suspected instead of dragneting the entire connected population and any and all data centers? Might be just a tad more efficient.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: Legitimate basis

So you have no problems with all your parcels and letters being opened, checked,logged and copied for the archive as well? Probably by minimum wages types who might show an interest in "valuables"?

PS you forgot to mention paedos!!!!

9. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Thumb Up

My sincere compliments ..

.. on the superbly appropriate picture leading this article.

Honestly, this is the proverbial case where that one picture speaks a thousand words. Not that I didn't enjoy reading the article, mind, but my personal feelings about the impact this bill will have are pretty much summed up by that image.

Excellent choice.

1. phil dude
      Trollface

Re: My sincere compliments ..

in fact that should be the sole target for El Reg.

Please make a cartoon or image that sums up the article.

Perhaps XKCD can help.

P.

10. earl grey
    Flame

There are liars...

And there are f'ing liars. I don't trust congresscritters and i trust 3 letter agencies less.

11. Intractable Potsherd

If there had been *more* surveillance ...

... then those two gunmen in Dallas might have been stopped before they ... injured a security guard.* Oh, and because they shred a flat (so probably no mobile comms), we need to have live microphones in everyone's house, car etc. You can't be too careful, you know!

* Is it just me that finds the timing somewhat suspicious?

12. rtb61

US Law, all foreigners are sub-human, talk about yet again putting that attitude on show. I think a mutual travel ban is in order until they improve their blatantly offensive laws.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like