back to article Twitter's share price crashed 18% thanks to ONE LONE TWEET

Financial analysts have reacted with comical dismay following less-than-forecast results from microblabber-content advertising website Twitter. The outfit's monthly active users, at 302 million, were up 18 per cent year-on-year and 4.86 per cent quarter-on-quarter, prompting Landcolt Capital's Todd Schoenberger to tell Reuters …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Unhappy

Twitter

- Adverts

- Trolls

- Hate

- The religious

I think I can make better use of my time.

1. Tom Samplonius

Re: Twitter

"... I think I can make better use of my time."

You forgot stock price manipulation. Apparently by breathlessly reporting accurate new a little bit before anyone else, will make your information seem explosive, when it is actually routine, because it seems leak-ish, leading to a stock price crash. I guess that is the Snowden generation for you: unless it is leak, they just aren't listening. This is worth billions to short traders.

1. fajensen
        Coat

Re: Twitter

Probably automated - they got robots tracking twitter "news", of course the oppo got robots injecting "news" into twitter to mess with the trade-bots. All fun until somebody loses an eye ...

2. DasBub
    Mushroom

Idea:

Let it burn.

3. Mark 85

All the hype they've pulled on everything building up to and beyond the IPO is coming back to haunt them... I wonder if the board when short on the market yesterday and made their money today? Nah.. that would be unethical and illegal.

1. fajensen
      Coat

Shorting is not cost effective in relation to the unlimited risk the shorter assumes.

You get 100x leverage "for free" with standard options with only the risk of your invested capital.

With customised derivatives you can get whatever you like - except that markets are thin and exclusive, so it may be hard to find a sucker to take "the other side" (and since these markets are "unregulated", said sucker may not want to pay up after the event).

In any case, if the board have any clue whatsoever, they would trade via a Belgian number account or Private Broker in London (the biggest pirate-market on the planet). Only incompetents are ever busted for insider trading!

4. handle

I love the way

"microblabber-content advertising website Twitter." is just below a retweet button...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter is for TWATS

Unauthorized access to a private URL is prosecutable no matter what you describe it as. Hacking or guessing the URL does not make it legal.

1. PrivateCitizen
      FAIL

Re: Twitter is for TWATS

Unauthorized access to a private URL is prosecutable no matter what you describe it as. Hacking or guessing the URL does not make it legal.

Erm, what?

How do you define a private URL? Is that one which is published on the public web but you dont want people to access yet? Or is it something else?

How do you define authorised access to a public website? Is there something I have to sign up to so that I can visit webpages, or just some webpages - and then only after I've visited can I find out?

Other than that, what?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like