back to article Tencent introduces slimmed-down wristjob TOS to swollen market

A new lightweight OS for internet-of-things things has been announced by Chinese megacorp Tencent. The new TOS, is a new intelligent, open OS, jumping into a market which is clearly underserved, as there is only the Cyanogen spin of Android, Kindle’s spin of Android, Xiaomi’s MIUI (a spin of Android), Samsung’s Tizen, ARM’s …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ah TOS

Atari live on.....

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Stop

What about Atari?

Will the Tramiel estate sue for trademark infringement?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_TOS

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: What about Atari?

If Cisco didn't sue Apple over the name IOS, then I highly doubt that the Atari estate would even lift a finger.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Re: What about Atari?

Quote from Cisco

"“Cisco has agreed to license the iOS trademark to Apple for use as the name of Apple’s operating system for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. The license is for use of the trademark only and not for any technology.”"

So sounds like money exchanged hands.

3. Dazzz
    Facepalm

Nice to see that security was high on their priority list...

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

>The new OS is targeted beyond watches at micro-gaming, VR products and smart tellies,

Internet of Things? What size of Things? As the article points out, the above categories are already have a choice of OSs, and aren't so power-constrained that they can't use a phone-grade ARM SoC.

Smaller, simpler Things (I'm thinking door locks, thermostats and lightbulbs) would benefit from a small, more reliable OS such QNX.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/18/qnx_hypervisor/

5. Crazy Operations Guy

Low-level access?

So either they suck at writing proper APIs / HALs or they purposely did it so that the Power-that-be can make sure that you aren't betraying the People...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

People using this new OS will be called TOSsers???

It is by Tencent, so the main purpose will be to foist more spyware and malware crap on Chinese citizens, with a fairly "clean" "International" version for the rest of the world.

Mine's the "Ar-my-nee" silk suit I had made to measure for fifty quid.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like