back to article LenovOUCH expands bits-blistering bodgy battery boomerang

Lenovo has extended the recall for bodgy batteries it shipped with ThinkPad computers between 2010 and 2012. The company's once again alerted the world's governments, and their product safety agencies, that plenty of ThinkPads shipped with Lithium-ion batteries that “may overheat, posing a fire hazard” and therefore “pose the …

1. FrankAlphaXII
    Mushroom

Lenoneveragain

So not only will they spy on you with their cheap laptops, they'll try to kill you with their pricier models. If you think I'm using hyperbole, I'm not. Lithium-ion and Lithium polymer batteries are pretty fucking dangerous, and when they get damaged or otherwise explode, they can spew flames and burning liquid metal everywhere.

I regret ever giving that company any of my money after the Superfish fiasco and this just reinforces it. If I didn't care about wasting something that cost me about a thousand bucks only a year ago, I'd run my ThinkPad over with my truck repeatedly and go buy something else like a business class Dell.

1. beast666

Re: Lenoneveragain

You have a 'truck'

Say no more....

2. Captain DaFt

"Lithium-ion and Lithium polymer batteries are pretty fucking dangerous, and when they get damaged or otherwise explode, they can spew flames and burning liquid metal everywhere.

-Snip-

If I didn't care about wasting something that cost me about a thousand bucks only a year ago, I'd run my ThinkPad over with my truck repeatedly"

Sound like just the thing you'd want happening under you vehicle... But I'll bet it gets lots of views on YouTube!

3. MrDamage Silver badge

> Lithium-ion and Lithium polymer batteries are pretty fucking dangerous, and when they get damaged or otherwise explode, they can spew flames and burning liquid metal everywhere.

And yet the TSA will give us a free colonoscopy over a bottle of water

1. frank ly

It's been done before. (Of course it has).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icOAsN-LU-w

2. Conundrum1885

Obligatory

Batterydammerung

That is all.

To OP, if you decide to do this PLEASE video it for posterity, kthx :-)

3. David Roberts

Low risk?

Too little information in the article but I get the impression that they list more model numbers than there have been incidents.

Given that the recall goes back to 2010 if you still have a working battery you are doing pretty well.

Unless of course they did something dumb like issuing defective replacement batteries.

1. Conundrum1885

Re: Low risk?

Yeah, I received one of the aforementioned replacements (cough DV6000 /cough) and it seems fine.

I think they might have used something other than regular Li-Ion because it is a lot heavier than the original and looks better constructed.

Haven't noticed any deterioration in performance apart from one occasion when the laptop was left for a week discharged and the first time it was used it required some effort to make it charge (ie hot swapping).

441425 - 001 7F07A4

1. GarethB

Re: Low risk?

> I think they might have used something other than regular Li-Ion because it is a lot heavier than the original and looks better constructed.

Sounds like they are using a safer chemical composition assuming the capacity is the same.

Not all Li-Ion are the same. There are much safer types available but they are bigger and heavier.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

4. SolidSquid

I should probably be annoyed at this since I've got a laptop on this list, but mostly I'm just thinking it's pretty damn handy that my old, refurbished laptop is going to be getting a nice new shiny battery which will extend it's lifespan direct from the manufacturer

5. b166er

Thanks for the heads up here, I just bought an x220 off Ebay last week and according to Lenovo's Battery Utility 2015 tool, I need a replacement. Here for the installer if you need to check.

I'm pleased about this, as batteries are never warrantied by Ebay sellers, so I'm getting a brand new warrantied one from Lenovo!

(Just found out the warranty is only 90 days. Still, better than 0 days I suppose)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dread to think what would happen...

If one (or more) of these went woosh in an aircraft's hold mid-atlantic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dread to think what would happen...

To the person that voted this down, it seems that the FAA and others are also worried about this...

7. Hellcat
    Mushroom

Slight edit?

For a UK based site maybe you should include this bit...

•T430 (China and Europe only)

Posted from my Lenovo ThinkPad T43................ *BOOM*

8. Alistair
    Coat

@FrankAlphaXII

So, no cellphone then I take it?

Wouldn't want that in your pants.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like