back to article Facebook fiddles with News Feed algo. Brace yourself for CONTENTGEDDON

Facebook has modified its News Feed algorithm and warned Facebook Page owners that "post reach and referral traffic" could plummet following the overhaul. The free content ad network said it planned to apply three changes to the News Feed function. One of those tweaks will apparently make friends' posts more prominent than …

1. DuncanL

If (IF..) this mean you get less crap from days ago then maybe it's good?

(I still keep mine in "Most Recent" order, but they took it away on mobile ages ago and probably will on the desktop if this new ordering works for them....)

1. Eric Olson

Most Recent still exists on the mobile app (Android, at least). You just need to tap the hamburger icon, to the right of the globe icon, the scroll down to find Most Recent. It's not perfect mind you.

2. Stumpy

Spotted a mistake...

'The free content ad network said...'

Should be

'The content free ad network said...'

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"users (sorry, people) "

This really made me laugh, and yet I know I should be sad...

4. Big_Ted
    Thumb Down

You want traffic on your site ?

Well then post more stuff , anything at all, just post, post, post....

You will then jump to the top of sites users(sorry people) don't care about.

Sheesh what a waste of space and time Facebook is.....

1. Andy Nugent

Re: You want traffic on your site ?

Is that what Facebook said?

"Overall, pages should continue to post things that people find meaningful and consider these best practices for driving referral traffic."

I read that as if you post quantity over quality, then you'll find your page's posts disappearing from people's timelines. If you post stuff that your followers are actually interested in, that they like / share / comment on, then it's more likely to appear.

5. Eric Olson
    WTF?

Call me crazy...

But the article read like it was written by my formerly tech-savvy uncle, who declared that BBS was good enough for him so it should be good enough for everyone. I realize the intent was humor with a side of snark, but it just came across as jaded, bitter, and fearful of change.

We know what Facebook is about. No new ground is being broken (journalistic or otherwise) by reiterating that it they track how what their users are doing. It also is disingenuous as all commercial (and many non-commercial) websites conduct user interaction tracking to some degree and leverage it for redesign or content presentation, including The Register.

1. User McUser

Re: Call me crazy...

[...] by reiterating that it they track how what their users are doing.

Come again?

6. Trainee grumpy old ****
    Flame

she / he did/said <insert random> and then his/her response will <insert more crap>

If there is one software patent I would welcome it will be a way of getting rid of all clickbait (not just from the free content ad network)

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: she / he did/said <insert random> and then his/her response will <insert more crap>

Something like this but for clickbait stories? http://stoptonymeow.com/

7. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Facebook = SPAM

Let me count the ways, in rough order of most annoying down:

(1) They host Facebook pages for spammers. About 99% certain Facebook also provided the spammers with the email address to spam at, too. Some of the spammers' pages are obvious scams, but others are just soon-to-be-bankrupt quasi-businesses that apparently think it is legitimate to spew crap to people who have absolutely NO interest in their spewage, including never having been in the cities in question or owning any related products, now or ever.

(2) They show racist and unblockable comments in my face. (There are MANY other less offensive comments, but the racist ones are most offensive.) With the vast pile of comments to select from, it is hard to conceive why they pick those, but my theory is that the most unblockable ones are linked to Facebook pages that are somehow paying Facebook and thereby getting protected from the blocking.

(3) They show racist and sort of blockable comments in my face. In this case, it is the large supply of racists that makes it offensive. At least I think these individual racists are sort of blockable, but it is difficult to be sure because of how weirdly the so-called block list works.

(4) They shove 'sponsored' ads of absolutely no interest to me.

(5) They show 'sponsored' ads that might be of interest, but which I will block and seriously try to NEVER shop from.

(6) Some spam originates from Facebook accounts using the Facebook email system. Mostly Chinese stuff, for unknown reasons.

(7) Facebook allows their users to be abused by spammers and scammers based on abuse of the Facebook reputation. You can sort of say this one is outside of Facebook's control, but I say that they should be concerned even to the point of declaring war on such scammers. Of course that's on the theory that Facebook itself isn't a scam and that they have legitimate profits that they could tap a bit from to protect their own supposedly legitimate reputation. I also think the scammers are dumb and wrong about Facebook's "valuable" reputation...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like