back to article Azure Fabric Service is Microsoft's answer to 'microservices' app dev

Microsoft has taken another step into the world of modern web app development with a new service aimed at making it easier to compose complex applications out of multiple interconnected components. Azure Service Fabric is Redmond's stab at a platform-as-a-service PaaS offering that lets developers compose apps from what have …

1. Phil_Evans

Building another bridge over the river

Yes, it's me-too, catch-up stuff we expect from Redmond. But the perspective that having a me-too engine for PaaS puts you in the club of the entitled is a short-sighted one. Microsoft's neglect/indifference towards the likes of New Relic, Chef and Puppet mean that they have a bunch of mature middleware to drive the Docker and CoreOS incumbents, together with emerging support for Azure. Microsoft on the other hand have 'System Center' which still maintains that the very idea of managing a cloud infrastructure is a pretty cool thing. Yes it manages Azure (and notionally AWS), but it's code base is entirely Windows-based with highly simplistic 'UNIX-sysadmin' type APIs.

Sorry if it's over-geeked, but I guess my comment should be 'but no-one asked for it and even if they did, couldn't manage it'. A bit like Betamax, I guess.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like