back to article Post-pub nosh neckfiller: Tortilla de patatas

As regular readers know, the Special Projects Bureau's headquarters is a mountaintop redoubt in a sleepy corner of rural Spain, so it was inevitable that we'd eventually turn our wobbly dining attention to the legendary "tortilla de patatas" (potato omelette). This no-frills classic – comprising just eggs, spuds and onion – is …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Onions? So Wrong! What's next? Pineapple on pizza?

1. toxicdragon

Whats wrong with onions? They are just about the only food I can taste these days, can't have too many

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"They are just about the only food I can taste these days, [...]"

Surprised they don't use garlic to add taste to what looks like an otherwise bland dish. Cooked onions tend to lose most of their taste.

1. toxicdragon

Exactly. I didn't say I cooked them.

Garlic works too, in a slightly back of the throat way if you follolw me.

2. Alpha Tony

It absolutely doesn't need garlic. I lived for a while in Spain and I I got addicted to these things. I tried experimenting with adding other things - garlic, chopped bacon, various herbs, but really it is gilding the lily. A well cooked tortilla doesn't need any other ingredients.

They're not the best thing to try to cook while a bit drunk though, as you end up with olive oil all over your kitchen!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Well if you prefer you can replace the onions and potatoes with artichokes and lemon juice instead. Not that I'm partial to it myself but it's apparently an option.

3. Mephistro
      Megaphone

When the revolution comes...

... you anti-onionist will be FIRST AGAINST THE WALL!!!

4. Captain DaFt

As a famous Cajun chef once said,"If it ain't got on-ye-on, it better be dessert!"

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Food can be divided into 2 groups - stuff that should have garlic in it and stuff that should have chocolate on it.

2. Anonymous Custard
    Thumb Up

Yum!

I think I'd find myself wanting some chopped pork product in there somewhere too (or just serve it with a few slices of decent bacon), or is that perhaps sailing too close to a pastry-less quiche?

But certainly looks delicious to me, might just have to knock one up in the next few days to fill me up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Yum!

Seconded... Everything tastes better with bacon !

1. horsham_sparky
        Thumb Up

third-ed.. I was going to suggest adding the bacon goodness.. smoked streaky preferably :-)

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Mate, you'll be knocking up a bloody quiche next ;-)

1. Anonymous Custard

Well I did say it may be sailing too close to one ;)

In a similar style you also have French dish of Tartiflette, except it's with Reblochon cheese rather than egg to hold everything together, and that one does include bacon (well lardons anyway). Always goes down a treat with a pint or few when I'm down in Grenoble (it's a Savoie regional dish).

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

If the lardons are not smoked then you could add some 'Tomme de Savior' to the mix to add a nice little kick. The stronger the Tomme the better.

2. Captain DaFt

"Mate, you'll be knocking up a bloody quiche next"

Ah, but us smart ones caught on to that ruse. The meterosexuals knew that if they called it 'bacon pie' as it rightfully should be, us real men would take it away from them!

3. Vincent Ballard

Tortilla is a classic tapa, so if you want to add pork products then the culturally appropriate way to do it would be with a pork-based tapa, perhaps some slices of fuet on the side.

1. x 7

"slices of fuet "

Victorian spelling there - I've never seen a long "s" used in online text before - but you got it wrong, you never ever start a word with a long s/f

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Well actually "x 7", Re: "Victorian spelling"

There's nothing Victorian about the long 's'.

I learned to write them when I copied from Arrighi's 1524 "La Operina" ("da imparare di scriuere littera cancellarescha") in the V & A as a schoolboy. Wikipedia suggests that they originate with the Romans.

Mind you, it seems that Vincent Ballard used an 'f' with a full crossbar rather than an "ſ" (HTML not working for me in preview). (If used, the crossbar should not protrude on the right hand side of the riser.)

1. x 7

Jan 0

I was using poetic licence and writing in a hurry. I knew it went back a fair way, but didn't realise there was a Roman use.

Regarding the crossbar, that seems to have been very much a changing style - I've seen print with a full bar, half bar, no bar. Some with an uncurled bottom, like an f, some curled like an s. But of course what was printed didn't necessarily reflect how people wrote - otherwise we would still have those missing letters eth, thorn, yogh and ash

2. Vincent Ballard
            Coat

Just to be clear, it was an F. As in http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spanish_sausage-Fuet-01.jpg

3. Fergus Gallagher

Overcooked?

For my mind, the eggs should not be fully set in the middle.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Overcooked?

Edwina Curry does not approve this message.

1. Mephistro

"Edwina Curry does not approve this message."

May her yolk rest in peace!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed. My wife makes them so "tender" that I'm sure a couple of hours in an incubator would result in chicks. Unfortunately for any potential chicken jalfrezi fodder they are so damn good they generally don't last that long, not even the huge two inch thick ones..

4. xj25vm

Potatoe variety

You could extend your research by trying out different varieties of potatoes. I find it amazing what a taste difference can there be between some spuds varieties. The best Spanish omelette I have ever had must have been the one in some village close to Santiago de Compostela. Apparently the Galician version takes some beating!

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Potatoe variety

I beg to differ. Real canarian spud grown in volcanic ash (not fake imports).

The best Tortilla I have had was in a small hamlet in the middle of nowhere on La Palma. Actually, once upon a time you could have a decent one even on Lansarote. Not now of course - papas do not grow well in a concrete parking lot.

5. x 7

chilli powder

it needs chilli powder

and shrimps...........

and fry in butter not oil - no need to strain then as the butter will solidify when you take the heat away giving you even more nice fatty nutrition to line the gut and ease the beer away

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Mushroom

chilli

I was thinking of a couple of green chillies (de-seeded and cut fine) chucked in with the onion myself. Probably not authentic. Call it the Ladypool Road crossover version (Brummies will recognise the reference)

6. David Nash Silver badge

Fantastic

As described in the article. No added contaminants necessary.

This is one of my favourite foods, including the onions of course. And no runny egg please! Bonus, if you're that way inclined, is that it's one of the only dishes that the Spanish have that doesn't include meat.

1. dogged

Re: Fantastic

I agree except that, er... I bake mine, Mexican style.

Ingredients are identical, get a nice round sponge tin, layer of potatoes, layer of onions, sprinkle with salt, drizzle with olive oil, repeat until you reach the top, add beaten eggs to soak around everything, bake for about half an hour at 200C.

No skill involved in flipping because no flipping - just a perfect tortilla.

7. Little Mouse

I fancy trying step three with Lard

Just for the bragging rights, mind.

8. Mark 85

I didn't know....

...it had a name but I've had this quite a bit lately.. except I used shredded potatoes.... with bacon on the side. Indeed, it's yummy.

9. Carl W
    Thumb Up

Success!

And tasty good it was too. But do you think there might be a way without frying the onions and potatoes in a load of olive oil? If not it will have to remain a rare treat rather than staple post-pub diet.

1. Little Mouse

Re: Success!

Lard is cheaper.

Mmmmm. Laaaaard.

2. Mephistro

Re: Success! (@Carl W)

You can use sunflower oil instead, but it decomposes very fast with heat and oxidises when exposed to air, so you can only use it once or risk getting some nasty flavours.

On the other hand, olive oil can be re-used many times, as long as you follow some simple steps. Don't overheat it ,filter impurities before storing the used oil, keep it in a closed container with as little air as possible and you'll be able to make many tortillas with a single bottle of olive oil.

Olive oil that has been used to fry spuds and onion can be reused to fry more spuds and onions, and also to fry meat.

1. Tapeador

I thought frying with olive oil created carcinogens full stop?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/10970070/Why-olive-oil-should-be-kept-out-of-the-frying-pan.html

1. Mark 85
          Meh

Meh... everything from grilling a steak to coffee has been claimed to be a carcinogen. I think it all depends on how hot you get the oil. If it's smoking, it's too hot (same for any oil).

Here's a couple of links that say it's "ok".... there's others.

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-olive-oil-good-for-cooking/

http://scienceornot.net/2012/09/15/is-it-safe-to-cook-with-olive-oil/

2. Rol

Life without a little risk, is no life at all.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@CarlW, you could do what I have been doing for years - using the leftover mashed potato.

Because the potatoes I get from our local market come in many different sizes it is very difficult to work out the exact quantity to use for mashed potato so I generally have some left over - rather than dumping it to waste it is stored in the fridge for a few days (in fact I generally cook more potatoes than I need just to have some on hand). They are then used with lightly fried chopped onions and lardons to make my version of this dish.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I used just enough oil... strained the excess back into the pan for step 2. Turned out just fine.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Success!

You can recycle excess strained oil - stick it in a jar for future deployment. Good news on your success, gentlemen.

10. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

My wife make the low fat/cal/oil version of this...

...and it's actually quite nice. The spuds are sliced or chopped then par boiled while the onions are fried in FryLite (butter flavoured version.) Once the spuds are done, drain and spread out to dry then add to the onions to sort of fry them a bit to add flavour. The rest of recipe is as per the article although she often adds herbs, or a bit of piri piri or other sauce, or even a little cheese.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My wife make the low fat/cal/oil version of this...

Not much use as a post-pub neckfiller without the fat though? Not unless your idea of a session is a small glass of cava, anyway.

11. C. P. Cosgrove

Tasty, with optioinal addition

Very simple delicious dish.

However I incline to the addition of some smoked lardons, fried in the oil for a bit before you add the onion.

I'll go find a stake to attach myself to.

Chris Cosgrove

12. wx666z

I only come here for the comments

And the great articles. Are huevos rancheros on the list? My lovely wife , She made them regularly for years

Re: I only come here for the comments

Sir, we are way ahead of you: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/06/haggis_huevos/?page=2

13. Stuart Moore

just checking

You are frying both the potatoes and the onions, before adding the egg?

Might have to try this.

Re: just checking

Not frying, really, just sort of boiling in oil.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: just checking

Sounds delicious, though seems a bit wasteful of oil to cook them in loads of oil, then straining them.

Bavarian Germany came up with a nice potato pancake, where the potato is just grated into the egg mix with chopped onion (and sometimes a little flour). Though I found you have to cook it all quickly. If left overnight in the fridge the mixture turns black!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon