back to article ‘Right to be forgotten’ prompts more French privacy concerns

French data protection authority CNIL received 260 complaints last year related to the so-called 'right to be forgotten' ruling. Presenting its annual report on Thursday, the organisation revealed that it had received nearly 135,000 calls from the public in 2014, a rise of 7 per cent on the previous year. The 11,000-odd …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

BCBG

Belligerent CNIL Berates Google.

2. John Lilburne

It is entirely possible ...

... that the entire web tech industry business model will become 'disrupted' as people wise up to privacy.

1. Mark 85

Re: It is entirely possible ...

I don't believe that will happen anytime soon from what I'm seeing. Most don't care as they've been beaten over the head about an "enhanced user experience" via the marketing types. Those that care.. file complaints. That the don't just keep their heads buried in the sand.

Those that do care are in the minority, including us IT types. Even then, there's a lot of us do the head in the sand routine. I think that if there's bad info meriting a right to be forgotten, it should be dealt with first at the source and secondary is the search engine. If the search engine pulls the links, the data is still out there.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So thats ~ 1 request per year for Google to consider per 650,000 of one of the more likely to complain populations; across the EU thats ~ 3 per day. No wonder Google made such a fuss.

4. Loud Speaker

Some people obviously can spell "Streisand", even if I cant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like