back to article EU bods Oetti and Ansip: We must digitise EVERYTHING

The EU's warring digi-chiefs — Vice President Andrus Ansip and Commissioner Gunter H-dot Oettinger — finally seem to be singing from the same hymn-sheet. On Tuesday, both gave speeches highlighting the need for the wider industry to “get digital” as well as bemoaning the Digital Skills Gap™. Ansip and Oettinger quoted the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

here we go:

"...use of digital tech such as mobile, social media, cloud, big data,while 41 per cent say they are not using any of them."

Yup the local green grocers, newsagents, farmer, butchers. They need all those, especially big data.

One day we will wake up and go "where did it all go wrong?"

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: here we go:

I was thinking the exact same thing. No business is going to waste time and money on things it has no use for. No matter how much the EU bods crow about digital awesomeness.

Suppose there's a very good chance they mean "big" business. The little guys tend to get forgotten - or deliberately ignored because it fucks up their numbers - in such plans.

2. localzuk Silver badge

A green grocer could very easily make use of social media - advertise their daily offers etc...

Newsagents could run a classifieds page on social media, and again show what their business offers.

Farmers - they absolutely could be using big data, for analysing crop yields and the like, to adapt to changes in their land, if they monitored things like ground acidity, weather, pollution etc... Many larger farms already do use such services.

Butchers - just like the grocer really.

So, no they won't all use all those services, but they could all use some of them.

I know of a couple of pet shops who use social media very effectively, for example.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So your saying, you are going to follow your local stores just in case there is an offer you may want that day?

Talk about noise.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Lots of people do follow stores on Facebook. There's a local café that puts their daily specials on there and they've got a few thousand followers. So, you're arguing against something that already happens.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Social media" in a big company sucks - big time

So some marketing triumph later we are infected with Tibbr. Instantly the thing became a playground for "the management", whose view was that if you couldn't see the incredible value of it you were somehow either a luddite or some kind of moron.

The reality is, in contrast, that it is simply a firehose from which a stream of sycophantic braying pours; "oh, GREAT post", "Fabulous article here" "We're a GREAT company".

And a more classic case of the Kings New Clothes there never was.

Still, it gives the burbles something to do.

Anon for patently obvious reasons.

1. big_D Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: "Social media" in a big company sucks - big time

Anybody who has the time to appreciate it isn't working hard enough... ;-)

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Leopards don't change their spots

!The EU's warring digi-chiefs — Vice President Andrus Ansip and Commissioner Gunter H-dot Oettinger — finally seem to be singing from the same hymn-sheet."

They're both Eurocrats asking for more of something. Of course they're singing from the same hymn-sheet.

4. Schultz

Homo Stuttgartensis

He spent most of his career in Stuttgart, so of course it's all about cars.

5. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Meh

Again with the savings...

<According to Ansip, a “digital by default strategy” across the EU public sector could save €10bn a year and e-invoicing in public procurement could save up to €2.3bn.>

O'Really? Hey Ansip! Remind us how well that's working out the UK Gov so far?

<Market barriers must be removed, he said and “consumers could save €11.7bn per year if they could choose from a range of goods and services from across the EU’s 28 countries when they shop online.>

He does realise this is a rather impressive £23 (roughly) per EU resident? Wow. And to get achieve that life-changing saving we only have to order from the other side of the EU, from sellers who know full well the comeback on any faulty products sold will be zero, tolerate immense postage delays ranging from weeks to months. Well. Sign me up.

Jeez. I could save that much by skipping one take-away night for the family. Thanks guys for pushing these outstanding schemes to enrich us all.

Have to wonder how much these two mouthpieces stand to personally gain from a digital by default agenda. Bet following the money would reveal some interesting connections.

1. PNGuinn
      Coat

Re: Ag.. savings..<..Market ba.. c'd.. of g'ds.. and .. from ac.. the EU’s.. online.>

<Cough> Fleabay <cough>.

El REg - we need LONGER TITLES (Post optiona)l.

After all, when one is making a serious contribution to the future progress of eurocommerce, one needs to set the scene with some verbal flatulence - I meam a decent quote.

2. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Again with the savings...

I dunno, £23 per person is quite a lot of money. £23 is enough to get me to and from work for 2 weeks.

I've bought things from across the EU, and postage has never been that slow. It nearly always is couriered and next day is quite normal.

Recourse if things go wrong - now that's something that needs sorting out. Just knowing who to contact and where would be a good thing.

6. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

digi digi digi digi digi

all i hear is digi and digi

meh, i need an abacus

7. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Some jokes go dumb with time

I searched for P-notdot G-notdot Wodehouse and John F-notdot Kennedy and I got 663000 P-dot G-dot Wodehouse and a few million John F-dot Kennedy.

So what's with your dot problem Jennifer Baker. Nice though that you don't use the M$ and similar.

Reading some of these comments reminds me of a comment referring to some well known person who wrote - "whatever you suggest to a Brit he will always find something wrong with it".

I once had a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_the_United_Kingdom

Reading that made me feel Brits are the last ones to complain about byrocracy in the EU,

Have a look.

"In 1799, the French created, and started to use, a new system with the metre and the kilogram as the units of length and mass.".

"In 1875, a British delegation was one of twenty national delegations to a convention in Paris that resulted in seventeen of the nations signing the Metre Convention on 20 May 1875,[23] and the establishment of three bodies, the CGPM, CIPM and BIPM, that were charged with overseeing weights and measures on behalf of the international community. The United Kingdom was one of the countries that declined to sign the convention".

"In 1965, the then Federation of British Industry informed the British Government that its members favoured the adoption of the metric system. The Board of Trade, on behalf of the Government, agreed to support a ten-year metrication programme[

Quite a story.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like