back to article Apple, IBM jump into bed for health data love in

Apple has partnered with IBM to use Big Blue’s former Jeopardy contestant Watson to crunch cloudy data obtained from Cupertino's fruity and still hard-to-come-by watches. The move is part of IBM’s unveiling of its Watson Health Cloud, intended to provide a platform for health researchers to aggregate information collected from …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And where...

...do these guys get off with taking OUR data, for their commercial purposes? Also, does an Apple Watch purchaser automatically agree to enrol in the data share with IBM and others? What control can the individuals having their data shared with these 3rd-parties exercise regarding the use of such data? Is data from non-USA citizens going to be captured and analysed? What 'Safe Harbour" arrangements will be communicated to EU citizens, regarding their data use by Apple and others?

Privacy, anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And where...

Crazy idea I know, but you could just not install any of the ResearchKit apps.

(Sorry about the non-Apple-hating response, I know it's deeply unfashionable these days.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or even crazier...

Read the article!

"collected from iOS users who opt-in to contribute their personal medical data."

3. Observer1959

Re: And where...

We know you're used to that with an Android and other OS but Apple doesn't work that way, read the article

2. Gordon 10
    Thumb Up

What would be very interesting

Is when the foss versions of Watson come on line and allow you to analyse your own data against a baseline.

3. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Trying to be optimistic, but...

Given the corporate track record, it's hard to believe the personal data won't be abused...

Having said that, I confess that I'm pretty sure that I qualify as a heavy user of these devices. In fact, right now I'm in the market for a new sleep meter. Does anyone know of some good online database comparing the various features? When I was shopping for my first sleep meter about a year ago, there were only 3 or 5 options in the stores, but on my latest visit, it seemed like at least 30 options. Then there's the exercise trackers, the BP meters, and fancy scales, many of which have options to feed smartphone apps... Just feels overwhelming.

Not exactly a comprehensive solution, but let me mention that EdX is offering a class on this topic, starting next month. I think Rice is the primary sponsor, though Baylor Medical School is involved, too. Even if I can't find such a database, maybe the class will help me understand the most important evaluation criteria?

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled worrying about corporate abuse of your personal information...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Changing Times

This is great news for medical research. Any work to find potential treatment & cures for cancer, diabetes, dementia, heart etc. is to be welcomed. Many of us will either succumb to these dreadful illnesses or know friends & family who have.

Tim Cook's Keynote 9th March went into some detail on Apple's plans in this field & mentioned that some of their stuff will be Open Source.

In the last few days many Apple Watch Apps have been announced in Healthcare (mostly USA for now). This is going to be huge across all smartwatch platforms.

Of course, they'll be the usual privacy issues & dissenters in which case don't participate. Personally I don't give a toss about sharing my data if it will help others.

Congrats to Apple & Big Blue. Who would have thought it ? Hopefully more of the IT crowd will get involved.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Changing Times

For anyone who is interested there is more on ResearchKit at:

Apple Press Releases

http://www.apple.com/about/

and

http://www.apple.com/researchkit/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Great news for insurance companies

Starts out as a discount in your premiums if you "volunteer" your health app data, then general acceptance (read: sleep walking) makes this the norm.

After 5 years the insurance industry will up your premiums over this years jogging quota...

Ahh the freedom.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like