back to article Intel and LG: Our new mobe cams COULDN'T CARE LESS about pixels

LG and Intel have announced new mobe camera tech which - for once - concentrates on something other than how many little dots you can squeeze into a photo. Intel showed a mobe-friendly version of its Realsense technology at the Intel Developers Forum in Shenzhen. This uses a combination of three cameras to give depth sensing …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. phil dude
      Thumb Up

interesting...

I'd be interested in that for better microscopes and other clinical measurement apps.

Surprising what you can do with a RAW image and some mathematical filtering when used with a calibrated light source.

If any of you folks have ever had your retinas photographed, the data is fascinating!!!

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: interesting...

Windows phones running Lumia capture 5 have this facility. 830 and above. I think it is just a marketing decision to not have it on the 735, unfortunately, as it had a decent sensor and lens despite the mega pixel count.

2. elDog

Pixels still count but I like this direction

Obviously that resolution (2560x1440) is still part of the spec, whether for recording or analysis/playback.

LG has announced a scheme to lend 4,000 LG G4s to people who want to try them for a month. This will happen in 14 different markets with each using its own way to decide who will get a G4 to play with. The UK method has not been announced but will be revealed on the LG UK Twitter feed.

I'm very much interested in a borrowing of this phone. Not sure if it will work with my USofA VerizonWireless account but I'd give it a good go. Now off to my tweet...

3. Mage Silver badge
    Boffin

2560x1440

Can I get a £500 laptop with 16" screen, optical drive, ethernet etc?

Don't need a new phone.

If I did, perhaps a 1/4 of that many pixels would be OK and save some battery for talking on phone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2560x1440

Z3 compact

1280 by 720 pixels, GSMarena's battery test gave 101 hours average use and up to 14 hours talk on 3g.

(But it's a Sony...)

1. theModge

<quote> Z3 compact </quote>

Have one and love the thing. I get 2 days of *my* average use out of the battery, 3 of very light 1 if I accidentally leave google maps open all day and the brightness on full (because I'm on holiday some where sunny. Rarely need to use that brightness here...)

Personal opinion and all that, but I quite like the thing.

2. Mage Silver badge
        Happy

I like my Sony Xperia Z1.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get your photographic priorities right...

"has a 16MP resolution but it’s the aperture of f/1.8 which is special, and will feature in the new LG G4 phone to be announced at the end of this month. LG claims that the module receives 80 per cent more light than that in the LG G3, which means you get better quality in low light and can use a faster shutter speed for action shots."

Bokeh, man, bokeh.

It is all about bokeh.

5. Chris Evans

Different markets have different focuses.

With camera it's all about how many pixels (despite most users then having most of them thrown away when they upload there pics to facebook etc)

Phones ads/reviews concentrate on a mixture of size, number of pixels and pixels per inch which makes sense.

What I don't understand is monitors, where size is the only thing that seems to be important. Trying to find the native resolution of some monitors can be very difficult.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like