back to article El Reg offers you the chance to become a Master Investor – for free

The Register has partnered with the Master Investor Show to give you the chance to enjoy a whole day learning how to turn your nous and cash into ... even more nous and cash. The upfront cost to you? Precisely nothing. Master Investor 2015, at London’s Business Design Centre on April 25, features a range of highly …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OpenTRV

http://opentrv.org.uk/

returns 'Error establishing a database connection'.

They might want to fix that before April 25th...

2. dogged

You could probably increase applications by removing the Farage paragraph.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ dogged

Maybe the Farage paragraph helps to attract the right audience, or at least put off the wrong audience.

1. dogged

Re: @ dogged

I make no judgements on the type of audience or even Farage himself - I'm just pointing out that he is likely to alienate more prospective applicants than he will attract.

Sorry I didnt mean to imply you were judging the audience, I ment it made more sense to have an economically right wing politician on stage at a capitalist event than a left wing. And assuming the event is not of interest to the main 2 parties it is hard to imagine which UK wide party could be invited to the event if not UKIP. For example it would make no sense for the greens to turn up nor libs and nobody else is noticeable.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Bob H

@codejunky

Inviting Farage to anything more than his own demise doesn't make sense. A vile man from a vile party intent on manipulating people through fear and deception.

@ Bob H

That is your opinion and a popular claim. However as far as I can see those labels apply to pretty much all of the parties and to an equal or greater extent than UKIP. I am fairly sure the labour supporters would think that of tories and tories think that of labour and even libs thinking that of both (and even their own).

I assume you accept the vile comment you have made (calling for his demise) while trying to brand him with fear (calling him vile and deceitful) makes a poor impression of you too? Whatever you may think of the man.

2. BongoJoe

The fact that it's in London alienates me.

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

"Now, this isn't one of those pyramid schemes you've been hearing about"

"It's more of a truncated rhombus... Oh shit, the Feds!"

4. NkMkI

Thank you el reg :)

1. Cliff

Thank you for the offer, but it'll be a big 'pass' from me. :)

5. Caff

ukip?

Well investors/startups wanting to use London as an EU base might be put off somewhat.

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Fail to see the link

" official National Hero Simon Weston OBE."

Sailor on a warship that got hit by a bomb which failed to go off - yet the warship still burnt to the ground and sank. Operated by an organisation which failed to plan to fight fires, failed to have adequate backup systems to fight fires, failed to have fire protection for crew of a ship which is designed to have bombs dropped on it.

Obviously an inspiration for anyone managing an IT company - but not sure about the motivational aspect for the workers.

1. dogged

Re: Fail to see the link

Oh, you do NOT get to blame Simon Weston for the failure of his superior officers.

Tell me you didn't go there.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Just wondering what the link to investing is.

Since the message seems to be, I got fscked over by a totally unprepared government organisation.

2. Chris G

Try reading a little history; Simon Weston was not a sailor on board the Sir Galahad, he was a Welsh Guardsman in transit to fight on the Falklands. Having been burnt as badly as he was and overcoming so much he is an inspiration to overcoming difficulties to anyone with a modicum of sense.

Unlike you who writes utter and poorly informed garbage!

Though you are more or less correct about the organisation that led to the ship being attacked .

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Sailor on a warship that got hit by a bomb which failed to go off - yet the warship still burnt to the ground and sank. Operated by an organisation which failed to plan to fight fires, failed to have adequate backup systems to fight fires, failed to have fire protection for crew of a ship which is designed to have bombs dropped on it.

Mmm. Firstly, he wasn't a sailor. The nautical term is "burnt to the waterline". They use this instead of "bunt to the ground" since ships aren't usually on land.

You missed the fact that they were strafed at the same time, and that they activated their disaster recovery plan, which worked and the ship survived. A small, but significant oversight. Likewise with the fact that it was a landing craft, not a warship.

On a separate occasion, it was hit by three separate bombs which did explode, setting about a hundred tons worth of fuel on fire. This exceeded the disaster recovery plan somewhat because there is a finite amount of damage that an unarmoured landing craft that's not designed to have bombs dropped on it can reasonably be expected to receive before it is written off.

The only thing that is broadly correct in your post is the punctuation and grammar.

7. Pawl

I would love to attend

If I didn't have to swim the Atlantic ocean, as I can't afford air-fare to the UK, and since I don't swim all that well, me being a bit on the older side, with this pain in the diodes all down my right side, and who knows, maybe the Atlantic is similar to Martian water and therefore a bit iffy to accidentally ingest, and besides, it's entirely possible that swimming in Martian water would cause some kind of nasty scaly effect on human skin and at my age I don't want to have to deal with something like that because I have to pay for medical care here in the U.S. of A. whereas the Brits have the NHS to take care of them, assuming of course that they can get an appointment, since from what I've read on various UK news websites that can be a very time-consuming task although needless to say, it's probably not as time-consuming as all the targeted advertisements Google keeps sending my way except that none of them seem to have anything to do with anything I'm actually interested-in, which makes me think that perhaps it isn't Google that is sending the ads to me but some other Nosy Parker reading my email and tracking my browsing which means that someone somewhere may end-up discovering that I'm otherwise interested in visiting the UK for whatever reason and so now I can expect to see lots of advertisements for travel, and possibly some of them will have something to do with attending this event which I currently cannot attend.

I don't even have a passport.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I would love to attend

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^'amanfrommars1''s long lost American cousin!

8. Anonymous C0ward

Almost worth it

just to heckle Farage?

1. Cliff

Re: Almost worth it

Not much point, few days before the polls after which he stand a rather good chance of standing down as a politician.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need a longer lead time on things like this.

I would love to go, but I already have commitments for that date that I cannot get out of (now - last week it would have been different).

Ré Simon Weston, he is a hero because of what he has overcome. There are lots of reasons he got injured - lack of suitable military investment over many years being the biggest.

To this day the RN is stuck with an area AA missile system that cannot effectively engage even an obsolete missile like the Exocet; against a modern AS missile, they would have more chance of stopping an attack by throwing fruit at it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Sound good....

...how much will the time-share cost again?

11. Blitheringeejit

Opportunity

Would it be OK to combine the hands-on bit with the Nigel Farage bit? With hands firmly clenched?

Re: Opportunity

Sounds like you 2 would like some time alone. With mood music.

12. Bob H

I was interested, then I read the mention of Farage. That man doesn't deserve the oxygen of publicity, in fact he doesn't deserve oxygen.

I'm out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like