back to article You. FTC. Get over here. Google is INVADING our children's MINDS – anti-ad campaigners

Think-of-the-children types are urging US watchdog the FTC to investigate Google's YouTube Kids app – claiming it insidiously influences the minds of precious little snowflakes with advertising. "YouTube Kids is the most hyper-commercialized media environment for children I have ever seen," commented Dale Kunkel, a professor …

1. LaeMing
    Childcatcher

Sea-monkeys and X-ray specs.

The best introduction to the reality of advertising any kid can have.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    WTF?

"great content shouldn't be reserved for only those families who can afford it."

Looks like Google has put their foot in it with that statement... as an advertiser, are you going to want to pay money to Google to advertise your products to people who can't afford them?

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Re: "great content shouldn't be reserved for only those families who can afford it."

(see title) You could say the same thing about hemophilia but I doubt it will get any laughs from the House of Hanover.

2. tlhonmey

Re: "great content shouldn't be reserved for only those families who can afford it."

"Zero entertainment budget" does not necessarily translate into "zero clothing budget", "zero food budget", or various other categories. Poor people actually need *more* information about what's available in order to choose what to spend their limited resources on.

3. Captain DaFt

Major Shock!

Ad company starts children's service that's full of ads.

So... was anyone expecting something different?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Major Shock!

No, but there is actual truth to this. A friend has this going for his child and I was just curious so I checked it out. It can literally go from the cartoon straight into a commercial that is seemingly or obviously tailored to fit the cartoon. This shit is weird. In all honesty, if you can watch a few cartoons on there, you should just to see how Google is brutally clutching adverts to children. To put it in perspective, it takes VLC longer to load the next video in the playlist than it does for the advert to cut it. It wasn't a new low for me and my opinion on Google, but it was just another piece to back my already degraded opinion of them.

For the rest of the examples in the article, I don't know. I really didn't pay that much attention, but it did seem all SNAFU otherwise. Of course them claiming they don't take food and beverage ads while HOSTING a McDonalds channel is laughable, but also typical two-faced Google bullshit.

www.duckduckgo.com

www.duckduckgo.com

www.duckduckgo.com

www.duckduckgo.com

www.duckduckgo.com

www.duckduckgo.com

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I would love to use DuckDuckGo, honestly. Trouble is, it's less DuckDuckGo and more DuckDuckGOOSE, as in it rarely returns anything useful.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

ddg gets better all the time, not sure what the learning software is doing, but it's working. I can and can't disagree with you. I can, because somethings are still so heavily anchored to the top in Google, you know they'll be on the first page (Stackoverflow, GitHub, etc.). I can't agree with you because shopping on ddg is actually better! There is just so many sites out there that don't pay Google that they just won't show on Google. It makes shopping on there more of a oddball experience in finding lower prices (which you do), sort of like pre-Google!

1. Charles 9

That doesn't sound that good to me. Sure, the price may be lower, but don't you also run the risk of hitting a fly-by-night counterfeit dealer, depending on the circumstances? I know some friends that got hit like this trying to bargain-hunt online.

4. Gannon (J.) Dick

"Google also added features like a timer to limit the number of minutes kids could spend watching stuff."

How many ads is that per kid ?

Simple question. Advertising is a numbers game.

5. Ole Juul

Other people's kids

I don't think one could argue that this is not taking advantage of children. I guess Google's point is that this is a good thing. I strongly disagree with them.

6. veti Silver badge
    Flame

rules that ban media giants from blurring the line between programming and product pushing.

Seriously? Have you ever watched an episode of 'Power Rangers'? How about 'Paw Patrol'? Those "media giants" are full of it. Blurred lines, I mean.

7. Grikath

Ummmm

This is the US we're talking about, right?

Where is the difference with their television then? Last time I checked that was about an ad a minute..

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Ummmm

I timed a US Sitcom recently as it was broadcast on E4

The show 'lasted' 30 minutes but the actual programme was 18 minutes long. The rest was Adverts.

An hour long show is actually 44-46 minutes.

During my quite frequent visits to the US, I rarely turn on the TV. If I do, it is for the Weather Channel to get the forcast for the next day. Otherwise trying to watch even half decent shows without the aid of a PVR is just too frustrating to be bothered with.

Is it any wonder that if the US wins a bid to host the FIFA world cup in the future, they will virtually insist that the 45minute 'halves' is split into at least two if not three sections just to satisfy the Advertisers.

As a certified GOM (Grumpy Old Man) I hate all forms of Advertising. we GOM's are not a target market for the advertisers but we have to sit through the crap that is aimed at everyone but us. They should be made to pay me to endure this shite.

as far as I'm concerned then all ad agencies should 'Eat This' (See Icon)

1. Kane
        Devil

Re: Ummmm @ Steve Davies 3

From the late, great Bill Hicks:

By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing… kill yourself.

No, no, no it’s just a little thought. I’m just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they’ll take root – I don’t know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself.

Seriously though, if you are, do.

Aaah, no really, there’s no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan’s little helpers. Okay – kill yourself – seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No this is not a joke, you’re going, “there’s going to be a joke coming,” there’s no fucking joke coming. You are Satan’s spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are fucked and you are fucking us. Kill yourself. It’s the only way to save your fucking soul, kill yourself.

Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, “he’s doing a joke…” there’s no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, fucking hang yourself, borrow a gun from a Yank friend – I don’t care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil fucking makinations. Machi… Whatever, you know what I mean.

I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, “Oh, you know what Bill’s doing, he’s going for that anti-marketing dollar. That’s a good market, he’s very smart.”

Oh man, I am not doing that. You fucking evil scumbags!

“Ooh, you know what Bill’s doing now, he’s going for the righteous indignation dollar. That’s a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We’ve done research – huge market. He’s doing a good thing.”

Godammit, I’m not doing that, you scum-bags! Quit putting a godamm dollar sign on every fucking thing on this planet!

“Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill’s very bright to do that.”

God, I’m just caught in a fucking web.

“Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market – look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar…”

How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like fucking babies at night, don’t you?

“What didya do today honey?”

“Oh, we made ah, we made ah arsenic a childhood food now, goodnight.” [snores] “Yeah we just said you know is your baby really too loud? You know?” [snores] “Yeah, you know the mums will love it.” [snores]

Sleep like fucking children, don’t ya, this is your world isn’t it?

2. Charles 9

Re: Ummmm

They developed techniques during the '94 World Cup, which the US hosted, to allow for in line ads without having to resort to a lot of commercials. Many sporting events around the world use such techniques now. Also, American sports have the decency to limit most ads to the grounds and walls (auto racing is an exception-cars and uniforms there).

8. tom dial Silver badge

Where is it written ...

... that the children should be unsupervised in their use of TV and the internet?

I haven't watched any of these apparent atrocities and do notI plan to. We didn't allow our children unfettered access to TV, and they do not alllow our granddaughter much access to it and plan to exercise control over her internet access. And neither we nor they object to the "no" word when it is an appropriate response to whiny requests for shiny things. It is not clear that government rules established based on agitation by professional worriers actually will benefit those children whose parents do not supervise them properly.

1. Yugguy

Re: Where is it written ...

Couldn't agree more.

Saying NO to your kid will NOT scar them for life.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

A Clockwork YouTube

You know what, I'll think I'll stick with CBeebies/CBBC for mine in spite of the BBC being the devil who oppress the poor and the only people who like their content are the pampered middle classes who could afford to pay for it elsewhere anyway. Well, at least that's what I read around here.

1. dogged
      Thumb Up

Re: A Clockwork YouTube

I'll do that, too.

11. thomas k.

slightly off-topic

Um, know where I can get some of those 'toothache' drops? Just asking for a friend.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SOS, DD

Advertisers are going to poison the minds of all people young and old, as quickly as they can. Hell many adults take advertising on face value never questioning the often bogus claims. It's futile to contact the FTC or FCC as they are bought and paid for by the criminal corporations. These agencies might as well be abolished as they are a waste of tax payer money.

13. Crazy Operations Guy

You know also think about the children just as much?

Pedophiles, that's who. I feel that its parents fault for these kids being exposed to so many advertisements. I'm tired of people that plop their kids in front of the television or the computer and expect technology to watch their children for them, then they yell and scream like a toddler when the technology isn't exactly like what they want. There are only two people in the world that are responsible for watching your children and ensuring they are safe and those are the two people that created the creature, its not the government's, its not big corporation's, its nobody else's, its yours.

14. Tom 13

Let's face it,

There's something creepy about Google having a channel dedicated to profiling kids even before you get to the deceptive advertising bits.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ever watched Saturday morning cartoons?

American children's shows are thinly veiled toy and sugar commercials. Spaced out with non-veiled toy and sugar commercials. I'm all for not exposing kids to ads before they're old enough to have the mental defenses against them, but I don't see why YouTube should be singled out here.

16. tlhonmey

So, to cut through all the fog here, what's being suggested by lots of people seems to be, "Because there exist parents who are too lazy to monitor their children and teach them good viewing habits, skepticism, and independent thought we should forcibly remove anything deemed 'too commercial' from the list of what's available to watch."

Given the results of putting unelected bureaucrats in charge of determining whats "appropriate" to teach children in schools here in the US, and the absolute train-wreck our education system has become because of it, you'll forgive me if the thought of giving them more control over what people watch doesn't seem all that appealing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like