back to article Forum chat is like Clarkson punching you repeatedly in the face

How can you condone racist violence, Alistair? Blimey! I’m not sure I know the answer to that one. In this round, there is no conferring. They sure come up with difficult questions in online forums. Perhaps my interrogator and I are at cross-purposes. I decide to find out. “Racist violence?” I type tentatively without …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but it doesn't change the fact that Clarkson is a nobend

1. BongoJoe
      Headmaster

I have slight arthritis in my back. Does that make me a 'nobend' as well?

1. frank ly

Your jokes about 'nobend' and the entire no-bender sloganeering issue on social media are a disgraceful attack on the LGBT community. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

1. Mark 85
          Pint

I'm sure the nobends are more upset about being compared to Clarkson than anything else at this point. And why are you inferring that we're all a bunch of homophobic Nazis?

Icon? It's late and a beer always clears one's thinking.

1. Bloakey1
            Coat

<snip>

" And why are you inferring that we're all a bunch of homophobic Nazis?"

<snip>

I totally agree, some of my best friends are Nazis and they have very tolerant views towards gays, Irish people and even clowns.

I know them so well now that they have given me the nick name of "untermensch", apparently it honours my Celtic roots and general ' oirishness' <sic>.

1. illiad

I think you need to visit google translate... unless you realise at what 'level' oirish are... :P :)

2. Alistair Dabbs

>> disgraceful attack on the LGBT community

One of the Facebook comments in question claimed that JC was a misogynist (which he may well be for all I know) because he used the word "c*nt" as a term of abuse. Earlier in the post, the same person had already called him, apparently without any sense of irony, a "prick".

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That person is not familiar with anatomy

One of the Facebook comments in question claimed that JC was a misogynist (which he may well be for all I know) because he used the word "c*nt" as a term of abuse.

My late dad used to have a saying: "Son, never mistake a v***ina for a c*nt. The former is a part of female anatomy. The latter is a type of male character. Most commonly found amidst politicians and celebrities".

1. swampdog
              Happy

Re: That person is not familiar with anatomy

Your dad was far wise than mine!

2. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Quite correct. He's far too big to bend easily. Did you see him trying to get into that small car...?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

but it doesn't change the fact that Clarkson is a nobend

Izzat s'posed to be "no bend" or "knob end"?? I know what a "knob end" is. There's lots of'em about but wotza "no bend"? Cain't say I've ever heard of such in the last 50 years.

1. x 7

A "no bend" is a primitive toilet where the crap just falls straight down the pipe. With no trap to catch the smell, theres usually a malodorous whiff or two lingering around. Said to be quite favoured by journalists and news reporters, who enjoy the stench.

1. 404

@ x7

Thanks, I was lost.

+1 'cuz I learned something today.

;)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Mage Silver badge

Nobend ... EH?

I've a sheltered life. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Who is this Clarkson?

1. swampdog

Re: Nobend ... EH?

He invented the PolterPuss in conjunction with his friend Mrs Clumpet.

2. x 7

Re: Nobend ... EH?

"Knob of Nob End" is the unpublished third novel by Kenneth Grahame, author of "The Wind in the Willows" and "Toad of Toad Hall".

It follows the exploits of a toad named Jeremy, otherwise known as "Knob" who is the grandson of the "Mr Toad" of the earlier novels. Jeremy lives in a terraced house in Nob End, having spent all the money inherited from his ancestor.

Jeremy has an alcohol habit, and pays for it by stealing fast cars - which he often crashes. He is assisted in this by a brain-damaged hamster, who was injured in one of Knob's crashes. The two are directed in their crimes by an old moth-eaten badger named James. James himself never steals cars: he simply directs the others and fences the few vehicles which remain undamaged.

Other minor characters include a snake named Tony, and a fairy named Oisin.

"Knob of Nob End" was rejected by the publishers and so never went to print. Officially rejection was due to lack of plot development (as one editor is reputed to have said "just how many cars can you steal and crash without killing yourself". However unofficial comment has made it clear that the real reason for rejection was character immaturity and lack of character and plot development. For instance, we never get to find the hamsters real name, nor do we get the reason why Jeremy is known as "Knob" - though many feel this is self--evident.

5. fruitoftheloon
      WTF?

@Terra

Terra,

is a 'nobend' some kind of North European version of an s-bend, or are you a bit of a pillock?

Just wondered.

Ooi I like Top Gear, but based on what I know feel it is right that Jeremy was shown the door.

J

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Terra

I thought it was a knob head anyway, not even a knob end? Knob head - ie. dick head.

1. Mike Pellatt

Knob head or bell end.

The original commenter would appear to have merged the two.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Knob head or bell end.

Nob end has plenty of precedent. It refers to a football fan from Preston.

2. Naughtyhorse
            Happy

lol

what a bell head!

3. Maty

Perhaps he merely missed the spacebar, something Idoalot. The reference could have been to Nob End, a scenic bit of landscape on the canal somewhere north of Manchester. In which case this is indeed a terrible thing to say to a Yorkshireman.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mansfield, land of the gods. nobend is the correct street spelling here for the male part, whereas a nob (up your end, no doubt, and so to speak - see what I did there) would more likely be a posh person. Mansfieldians are all too well aware that a nob is more of a person and part reference than a knob which is merely part. Nob, with both reference to class and to penis, such that the two are combined, therefore suggests an upper class nob is likely also a penis. See we have a history of grating on the Lords and ladies and governments of the day round here (note I also dropped the a in around but I leave the A for you since that has another meaning here too). A door knob does not a penis make, though I'm aware you might have been called stumpy at some point. So if you are a nob, make no mistake, you are a penis. If you are a knob, you may well be a door handle. See the difference? Mansfield folk thought of it all :-)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nob+end

2. smartypants

This apt xkcd should be taught in schools

This is important:

https://xkcd.com/386/

1. John Miles

Re: This apt xkcd should be taught in schools

I recall what I think was a news article about an inquest in a IEE mag (but may have been a story elsewhere) where a wife had described how her husband wouldn't leave the forums because people were giving "bad advise" and he felt the need to correct them, I can't recall cause of death but she blamed his "addiction" to forums for him neglecting his health.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

https://youtu.be/0la5DBtOVNI

3. Harry the Bastard

unacceptable to hit a minion, but on the other hand he is reputed to have punched piers morgan in the face, so he's not all bad

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>reputed to have punched piers morgan in the face, so he's not all bad

Yes, but was that recently?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But Clarkson is a yorkshireman so this was just culturally appropriate behaviour and a normal means of communication.

I am sick of southerners (defined as anyone from 0.1mi south of me) making value ill-informed judgements about people from the North.

1. swampdog

Southern poofs. At Uni we used to order "woofter brew" for a particular individual. Got so at our local the bar lady used to say it when we walked in.

(guiness & cider)

"Stop calling it Black Velvet you woofter". I guess things were less PC back then. On the bright side, as far as I know, he's not hanged himself yet.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"(guiness & cider)

"Stop calling it Black Velvet you woofter""

Black Velvet is Guiness and Champagne. What you have described is a 'poor man's' Black Velvet (especially concocted for our poor notherern neighbours).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Actually it's likely prosecco but you southerners can't tell the difference.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"but you southerners can't tell the difference"

Oh how I wish that were true -I could fob the missus off with a crate of the stuff and still have money left over for the mortgage :)

3. x 7

Morgan deserved it. For being Piers Morgan.

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>unacceptable to hit a minion,

I thought he punched a producer?

Surely hitting the boss (and a member of least accurately named profession on the planet) is pure BOFH

5. swampdog

The masochist in my head almost makes me want to be there when it happened.

I was on Concorde. Unfortunately not on the last flight. Actually it was in a museum. I probably should have stopped typing three sentences earlier.

4. Chris Miller

How Internet chat works

According to Scientific American.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: How Internet chat works

An animated GIF? Fascist.

5. Pen-y-gors

Poor Oisin

It's all a bit of a balls-up: El Nob Grande is a total prat, but I do wonder if things could have been sorted out with an offer of grovelling apology and considerable financial compensation from JC.

The way it's going now, there will be no more Top Gear, The Beeb will be out of pocket to the tune of £50m a year, May and Hammond will also be out of a job, and, most ironic of all, so probably will be Oisin.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Poor Oisin

In less high profile circumstances, one route for the Beeb would have been apology, compensation, commitment to "anger management", some time off work "to deal with personal issues" and the return after a suitable period of purdah to TV.

No doubt there are questions in the BBC about if they could have spotted the way things were going earlier, and who was making sure that Clarkson wouldn't bring them embarrassment.

1. ilmari

JC in anger management therapy? Now that's a tv show I'd watch, especially if it includes segments such as "staying calm driving behind pensioners in caravans".

2. Uffish

The BBC are sniggering. They are perceived as having been forced to close a popular show on a point of honourable principle whereas the reality is that they wanted to axe the show. The show will be mothballed for a year or so and then will come back in a new format and make even more money.

(And asuming that a producer is really responsible for providing the food, Oisin deserves to be given a decent interval to go and find a better job - he failed).

1. DavCrav

"The BBC are sniggering. They are perceived as having been forced to close a popular show on a point of honourable principle whereas the reality is that they wanted to axe the show. The show will be mothballed for a year or so and then will come back in a new format and make even more money."

I doubt it. The BBC might well try to bring it back, but it won't be syndicated for a few years. Other countries' networks won't pay nearly as much for an untested product, and the BBC won't have the balls to have someone controversial front it, and it will be Fifth Gear Mark 2. Without the production values (the BBC won't shovel the money in without the commercial deals behind it) and the hosts, it will wither and be canned two seasons later.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And it will have phone-ins and be hosted by Stephen Fry

2. Paul Shirley

It looks very like the knobend might have got away with it if he'd kept his mouth shut. No sign the producer was going to report the incident, though it's hard to believe it wouldn't have hit the newspapers and forced the issue anyway, too many people witnessed it. I have to assume the knobend worked out he wasn't going to get a "jim'll fix it" free pass this time without heroic efforts, so he shopped himself.

Not heroic enough. Oh... Supposedly he did try the groveling apology... Didn't bother doing it publicly where it might have made him look less like a sacked dickhead.

1. x 7

Only way for Clarkson to have survived was for him to have licked someones ass. Literally. BBC luvvies like that - its their version of the casting couch.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I doubt any of then will be out of a job. I expect a show looking remarkably like Top Gear to show up on some other channel with the same faces fronting it. OTOH Beeb executives will be several 10s of millions short to spend on executive lunches etc - or maybe they won't, they'll cut a few costs elsewhere to make up for the shortfall.

4. Naughtyhorse

Hmmmm...

And all triggered by cockson turning himself in...

even though he was on his final, final, final, absolutely the last final warning...

Call me an old cynic but it all makes me wonder if there was an agenda in there somewhere.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like