back to article Want a full-blown IDE for Node.js? You'll need a Windows machine...

Microsoft has doubled down on its support for the Node.js server-side JavaScript framework with a new set of tools that turn Visual Studio into a full-fledged Node.js IDE. The Node.js Tools for Visual Studio (NTVS) have been in development as an open source project for around a year, but Wednesday's 1.0 release marks them …

1. Notas Badoff

You forgot to mention TypeScript

which this new product claims to support, though why Microsoft would choose to do that for free I don'.... oh

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tactics

Microsoft will support it enthusiastically for a bit, then start to add 'advance' features on the backend that only work (or work best) with their backend kit. Then after a few more free years these differences will gradually increase, until they will start to gently penalise developers (in how code is executed) for not using the Microsoft features.

Bog standard big company practice. They don't want to be part of a community they want to own it (and bill it).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New paint.

This took about 5 seconds to implement for Microsoft. In most editors, you can set breakpoints on any language. Node is Javascript with new API's, nothing else. Node isn't a hard scripting language to learn because Javascript isn't (just use the right parts).

BTW, I thought Node didn't run completely stable or functional on Windows yet, or has that changed?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New paint.

I thought Node didn't run completely stable or functional on Windows yet, or has that changed?

Still runs crappy on Windows. There's nothing special about Node.js.

It's still good enough to develop with, however. But when it goes live, it runs on a server OS.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

Node.js is still en vogue?

So now we have the most pointless editor add-on for the most pointless idea ever conceived by mankind (being able to write programs in a shitty language totally unadapted for the task at hand in locations where you certainly do NOT want to see it, ever, and performing extreme gyrations that probe new depths of the saying "reinventing the square wheel" to attain that dubious privilege), thus surpassing muzzles for ducks.

Carry on.

1. solo

Re: Node.js is still en vogue?

"..in locations where you certainly do NOT want to see it.."

did you mean locations like corporate sites? Do they have very high quality with .aspx pages?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Javascript is not a shitty language. Its problems are twofold: lack of documentation and adoption by the masses who just want to get jQuery working without caring how.

Go learn about the prototyping capabilities of Javascript to understand it's true power and potential. For those who understand this prototyping language, combined with the async nature of Node.js, it is a very powerful environment for async server tasks (i.e. most web services).

1. Oninoshiko

Shh... his mind is made up, don't confuse him with facts.

5. Tom 7

Why not an IDE written in Node.js

Orion is OK for writing javascript. We have all the bits to make a decent IDE using just a browser and a small backend API to manage files and security on the server but everyone gets the mission creep in first.

6. aussie-alan

IntelliJ

I you want a full-blown IDE for Node.js, use IntelliJ, it runs on multiple platforms. I do consulting for various companies and IntelliJ has plug-ins for pretty much everything I use, and runs well on my Mac.

7. cloder

CodeLobster IDE

My favorite IDE is CodeLobster -http://www.codelobster.com/nodejs.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like