back to article Ex-Autonomy chief Mike Lynch's Darktrace bags £12.6m from investors

Darktrace, the Cambridge-based cyber security company backed by the billionaire superyacht-owner Mike Lynch, has raised $18m (£12.6m) from investors. The latest funding round includes a cash injection from Invoke Capital, Lynch’s venture fund that was one of Darktrace’s first backers. It has also bagged funds from Talis …

1. Uberseehandel

Is this outfit for real?

I had a poke around their website and discovered such oddities as a portrait of a presbyterian minister who died over 250 years ago (Thomas Bayes).

I find the explanation of what they do somewhat sophomoric and if it is accurate, no smarter than what was going on back in the 1970s. I also find it trades rather hard on the reputations of a handful of universities, Even so i would have thought a picture of Queens' Bridge more relevant than a hackneyed photograph of King's College Chapel and Clare

RBE has been around for 15 years now and something similar has been in use discretely since the 80s, on a need to know basis.

The combination of the brouhaha around Autonomy and HP together with aging woodcuts of deceased clerics isn't a great inducement. I am sure they are all lovely,people, but I don't really know if they are selling anything new.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP have offered $16.4 billion.

But deny it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm no fan of HP...

...after being fcuked over by them when I was an employee, but this this just looks like just another smoke-and-mirrors business invented by Lynch, just like Autonomy, which he conned HP into buying. I would guess his plan is to sell it to another unsuspecting, lax, stupid buyer like he did with Autonomy and run off with a shedload of cash for an even bigger yacht.

4. Mike 125

"Darktrace"??

Impressive credentials. But "Darktrace" ? Hahah - gimme a break. Someone's been watching too many crap '90s cybercrime flics.

Security is so great - selling nuts to monkeys.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like