back to article Respect mah privacy! EU delegation begs US to play nice with data

A delegation of MEPs is in Washington this week to put pressure on the US authorities to respect EU privacy laws. The 11-strong group from the European Parliament’s Civil Liberties Committee (LIBE) is led by British Labour MEP Claude Moraes. He said the Parliament hasn’t forgotten about the National Security Agency (NSA)'s …

1. Ole Juul

Respect?

. . . put pressure on the US authorities to respect EU privacy laws.

This is sad, but I don't think the current US authorities are capable of respect, at least not for others.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Respect?

The U.S. does not respect their own laws or Constitution. What makes you think a delegation will have any luck getting them to respect E.U. law.

Sounds like a tax funded trip to 5 star hotels and restaurants to me.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Gimp

Re: Respect?

Not Nethanyahu? FUCK THE EU!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Since when...

Since when does the USA give a toss about other countries rights ?

They're allready trying to play world-police all over the globe, do they really think a bunch of european MEP's will make any difference ?

1. sysconfig

Re: Since when...

"do they really think a bunch of european MEP's will make any difference"

So should we (and the MEPs included) just accept US dominance and ignorance and bend over?

I don't think so. Even though it may seem hopeless, I think privacy matters. Giving in is not really an option.

It's like big corporations: Nothing changes over night. You sometimes need constant nagging of different players over extended periods of time to finally be heard.

Budgets (political and commercial) work on a "use it or lose it" principle, They WILL be spending tax payers money anyway as it's already allocated. I'd much rather see it used for their trip in the name of privacy than wasted elsewhere.

3. Vimes

'judicial redress'...

Except that you have to know about abuses first *before* you can even think about seeking redress. Have they forgotten about gagging clauses often found in national security letters?

4. dogged
    Meh

MEPs go on expenses-paid junket. Taxpayers pick up bill.

Film at 11.

5. alain williams Silver badge

Even if the USA gives assurances

the lying toads will not lose any sleep by living up to the promise. The NSA will just continue to slurp up whatever it wants citing Four Horsemen of the Infocalypse: terrorists, drug dealers, pedophiles, and organized crime.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: Even if the USA gives assurances

Pedophiles are a bete noire for British pols, not really American ones. We prefer to go after dastardly "foreign agents" here, or perhaps money launderers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lip service..

That is all the MEP delegates will get from the US...

1. launcap Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Lip service..

No - they might get a pat on the head and a 'good boy'.

And then a stick thrown for them to chase.

2. alain williams Silver badge

Re: Lip service..

That is all the MEP delegates will get from the US...

Not true - Monica Lewinsky no longer works for the gov't of the USA.

7. Arachnoid
    Facepalm

Only one word for this...........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

8. Someone Else Silver badge
    FAIL

Oh - comma - REALLY?

A delegation of MEPs is in Washington this week to put pressure on the US authorities to respect EU privacy laws.

Ha! That's a good one! Our so-called "gubmint" doesn't respect much of anything (ref: #47traitors) including our own privacy laws; you EU-ers expect those morons to respect yours?!? Shirley, you jest!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the EU really wanted to protect our data; they could fund -and then open-source- a suite of comms programs to enable secure communications.

No one country could do it because there is no trust; but the EU could fairly easily...and with all the respective countries watching each other to ensure that nobody slips a hole in there, it's doable.

The only way to make sure they're not going to abuse our privacy is to make it very difficult and/or expensive for them to do so.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Noticeably missing from the list of departments the MEP group will meet with...

Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the National Security Council and the Department of Defense (the NSA reports up to the DoD).

If I were coming from Europe to talk about improving civil liberties, I would want to talk to these guys too.

(The bulletproof invisibility cloak with the heat-seeking dagger in the pocket is mine)

11. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

access US courts under the same conditions as US citizens

Ah, so if some US company abuses my privacy I can sue them? Do I have to attend court like a US citizen? How will the TSA treat me on arrival when I declare the reason for my visit to their fair country bearing in mind I'm not even legally in the country until I get past the TSA? Can I even afford to go in the first place?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like