back to article Adobe lifts sheet on Dropbox-style doc sharing cloud

Adobe has unveiled a Dropbox and Box-esque document sharing and collaboration cloud that plugs into Microsoft Office 365. Adobe Document Cloud will let you create, edit and sign documents electronically through a mobile- and touch-enabled interface, built using its software. Adobe reckoned its new cloud, the firm’s third …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I thought

Adobe has always done it best to share your content out to the world, it's called Flash player and Acrobat reader.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Subscription dystopia

I recently decided to buy Acrobat - as Adobe Reader doesn't have the DLL that allows other applications to access the insides of PDF files. A one-off payment that would suffice for my small needs for many years was justifiable.

All that was on offer was a subscription - the cheapest being about £13 a month. I will tell my users that PDF files are not acceptable. If they want me to process their files then they will have to be in a Microsoft Word compatible format - and I will point them at Libre or Free Office.

1. James Cane

Re: Subscription dystopia

There are plenty of alternatives to Adobe, including plenty of SDKs for PDF.

But I'm sure your users will understand.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Charging £13 a month and they can't afford to debug their own code, so they get the "users" to do it for free...sounds like Adobe :-/

However, Microsoft Word? Has nobody came up with an HTML/JS editor that can replace just about everything a typical office might need? Should be obvious, but if you can put it in a .pdf, then you can put it in today's HTML/JS. Maybe a .epub builder for this exists...?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But I'm sure your users will understand."

My users are provided with an events advertising service, for free, that takes two full days of my time each week to process. All I require is that they use either their existing Facebook Events pages or have a tabular format on their HTML pages to declare their forthcoming events. Neither is perfect for an automaton to trawl but the partial success rate is acceptable. Even a narrative text is handled - even though that can be very time consuming in human intervention.

Have looked at the various PDF SDKs but haven't yet found one that is accessible from Excel VBA - and affordable. Recommendations are welcomed.

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge

LibreOffice Draw edits pdfs surprisingly well.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It will be as reliable as Creative Cloud

...and as secure as Flash.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: It will be as reliable as Creative Cloud

You beat me to it.

4. bigfoot780

An unholy alliance

Microsoft and Adobe.

5. johnB

Why would anyone

After vowing never to let anything from Adobe onto any machine I was going to use ever again I switched from Adobe to Foxit some years ago. Life just got better.

Then my local public library forced me to use an Adobe product to read their on-line offerings. They haven't got any better.

No way I'd voluntarily sign up for anything from this outfit.

6. oldtaku Silver badge

You might as well just put on your stuff up on github. It'll be faster and no less secure.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh great, more security holes o'Adobe!

ive just purged my family of their security ware shite and now I'll have to start a new round of family work to keep this shite out too!

Fecktards.

1. king of foo

Re: oh great, more security holes o'Adobe!

This!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like