back to article BT inks deal with Williams F1 for go-faster cloudy goodness

The Williams Formula 1 racing team has sealed a cloud services deal with one-time state telco monopoly BT. This will give the racing team fixed and mobile comms in what they have called a “a multi-year strategic technology partnership”. The deal means BT gets its logos on the headrests of this year's Williams Mercedes FW37 car …

1. Montague Wanktrollop

They'll regret it...

When they have a fleet of Openreach vans digging up the circuits mid race.

1. Oor Nonny-Muss

Re: They'll regret it...

Especially when the actual wiring is outsourced to Kelly Communications...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They won't actually have dug it up - just parked a couple of transits and a sea of cones in the middle of the track and then gone off to do another job in Scunthorpe for a week.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a fleet of Openreach vans digging"

Won't it be Murphys doing the digging?

2. The Corner of Moron

I love the fact that the Reg can't write and article about BT without adding the line 'One Time National/State Telco'.

'tis like Bacon and Eggs or my neighbour's PC and dust bunnies.

You just can't have one without the other!

1. Terry Barnes

I'd like to see IBM always prefixed with 'former typewriter manufactuer'.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which will be more boring...

..BTs next annual accounting report describing this deal or next seasons F1 racing.

A close run thing.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Which will be more boring...

Last year's F1 season was a lot more interesting that the previous Vettel/Schumacher era seasons. At the front we had Hamilton & Rosberg trying to knock each other off the track and behind them everyone else fighting for second place behind the Mercedes.

All we need is Bernie to stop being an arse and distribute the money better so the lower/smaller teams actually stand a chance.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. SteveK

Re: Which will be more boring...

if a cricketer makes a mistake he loses his bails

Oh, bails.

I misread at first and thought that seemed extreme.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Both BT and Williams have an illustrious history of competing successfully at the top with cutting-edge technology.

BT Successfully compete with anyone..?? They only way they "compete" is by (ab)using their monopoly position.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"They only way they "compete" is by (ab)using their monopoly position."

About half their revenue comes from operations overseas, so they must be competing with someone.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Uberseehandel

I can't see Patrick Head keeping his temper.

On the other hand, because Williams is British and based in Britain, their expectations can't be very high.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"because Williams is British and based in Britain, their expectations can't be very high"

What an odd comment. AFAIK all the constructors except Ferrari are based in the UK whatever the flag that's above them when they're on the podium. The Mercedes engine? Built in the UK. Honda, I'm not sure about but they're opening an operations centre in Milton Keynes. The Renault engines are built in France - but they didn't cover themselves in glory last season.

In fact a huge proportion of F1 is based in Britain.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Go

In fact a huge proportion of F1 is based in Britain.

Yup all of them around the Northants/Bucks/Oxfordshire area. An internationally recognised area of motorsport excellence. It's something that Britons should be proud of, like our satellite manufacturing and operating industry. Unfortunately it seems some people just can't or won't accept that when we're good, we're bloody good.

I live in a small town in rural South Northants. We have a Formula 1 team that wins championships. It's opposite Tesco :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corporate Speak

Whenever I see press releases, I feel nauseus and the voices in my head replace the narrative with "fuck off, fuck off, money, more money, fuck off, you're paying for this somewhere, fuck off again".

I suspect it's a ruse. For something.

Now where's the buzzer for the nurse?

8. JDX Gold badge

It's a pretty thing, that car.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. badger31

Broadband Speed

BT should get Valtteri Bottas helping them with their rural broadband scheme.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Jim 59

Williams

I always thought Defender was their high point.

1. DanHT

Re: Williams

Marble madness for me

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon