back to article ALL comp-sci courses will have compulsory infosec lessons – UK.gov

Cyber-security will appear on the UK curriculum from next year in a bid to get more kids into the industry, the government has announced. The topic will be a key part of UK computing and digital further education qualifications from September 2016, Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude said today. Its inclusion is part of a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Definition of irony....

A government that campaigns to backdoor encryption and undertakes things like hacking Gemalto's SIM authentication database also thinks that the cyber-world is a dangerous place and requires more people educated in IT security.

2. Mr Anonymous

What will the content be?

No dobt the need to spy on citizen's will be in there to ensure compliance with over arching Govt powers is acceptable to the new voter, so will the morality and legality of this be discussed, together with historical application of state sponsored monitoring of the population, such as that by Stasi or Batallón de Inteligencia 601?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does the government normally mandate what is taught in universities? Sounds like a slippery slope to me.

1. Phil Endecott

It says "further education", not "higher education". So no, they aren't saying what is taught in universities - and the "ALL" in the headline is therefore somewhat misleading.

4. auburnman

Own goal for GCHQ?

The more people who become properly educated and informed on InfoSec matters the less they will be likely to trust/work for the various 'hoover up all data!' organisations. Bring it on I reckon.

5. phil dude
    Boffin

maths...

It would help if students knew the maths behind encryption. At least sufficient background to realise that:

1) algorithms are the implementation of specific mathematical equations, and are therefore subject to attack. What if the hardware is buggy or hacked?

2) Random numbers aren't, unless from a physical source. How do we detect this?

3) There is no proof that certain mathematical operations are hard, only empirical evidence so far. Is a prime number large enough given the rate of computer speed increase?

and finally, if you understand these things well, try and help those who might not get it so easily.

A rising tide raises all boats...(or something like that).

or perhaps "don't make it easy for the bastards".

P.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Bond....Bond!!, pay attention at the back boy!"

Shorry Shir.

1. Bloakey1

Re: "Bond....Bond!!, pay attention at the back boy!"

You may laugh. I did a masters in I.T. Security many moons ago and a lot of us were special forces, spies and signals types with the odd military intelligence guy thrown in.

It goes with the territory I am afraid.

We also balanced all of that by having terrorist alumni such as Jihadi John.

Ahhh, those halcyon days at Northwick Park, where men were men and sheep were nervous !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Bond....Bond!!, pay attention at the back boy!"

Bloakey1, are you now going to be 'Liquidated' for revealing this information?

7. Andrew Newstead

Already there

We have been teaching units on Network security for the last 5 years as part of the Level 3 BTEC security FE, funny the Government doesn't mention that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Already there

The security content in an L3 BTEC isn't really what the government is after. Comp-Sci security content is a different kettle of fish

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If ever there was a need...

...for better cyber security and real punishment for cyber crims, it's the UK which is an embarrassment to the rest of the world when it comes to cyber security.

9. chic

And whence ....

... will they procure InfoSec teachers worthy of the name yet willing to take an FE drones salary?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

"Life is simple; we insist on making it complicated."--Confucius

Over the last several years, I have been reading--here, and elsewhere--about the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth on the part of all facets of the UK establishment, both business and government, regarding the horrible results which you folks are now reaping due to the out-sourcing of IT work of every kind.

Ask your government, "Where were you when all those valuable jobs and knowledge were given away? And NOW you are playing 'savior' (sic) by spending US$ 1.3 BILLION of OUR MONEY so you can say that you're doing SOMETHING about the problem?"!

["An update by the National Audit Office for Parliament's Public Accounts Committee on the government’s National Cyber Security Programme said that "good progress" has been made in improving its understanding of the most sophisticated threats to national security.

However, the level of understanding of threats to wider public services is "varied" – which sounds like a diplomatic way of saying poor to middling."--previous El reg post]. With this kind of "progress", what is the problem?

Here's the simple solution:

Suggest to your government that, just as they allowed all the previous brain-drain to occur at no immediate, palpable, cost (face it: forcing tens of thousands,with the requisite knowledge to solve the current problems, out of work is NOT an immediate, palpable problem); that it also employ a no-cost solution to this problem: simply--again--out-source all your infosec requirements to India, China, North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan, and, indeed, anyone who submits a very low bid (I would, however, reject a bid from the US out of hand, as the quality of our software now suffers from the same problems you are now experiencing, and for the same reasons).

11. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Boffin

Info sec

Should be easy to master for us comp.sci types

1. Bounds checking when allocating memory

and thats about it

for the advanced course, we can have "beating the users to death with a sign saying 'don't f***ing open e.mail attachments' "

12. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me

Security is something which should be designed into software from the start, rather than tacked on the outside. Teaching students the basics of information security is likely to make them more mindful of this.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given that many IT courses at UK universities have a high proportion of overseas students (as encouraged by one part of the government and discouraged by a different part), maybe they've been told to improve the infosec knowledge of the offshore outsourcing companies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Given that many IT courses at UK universities have a high proportion of overseas students (as encouraged by one part of the government and discouraged by a different part), maybe they've been told to improve the infosec knowledge of the offshore outsourcing companies."

From the ones I've worked with getting them to be able to do straight forward stuff with Java, web technologies and SQL would be a major advance never mind Infosec

15. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Soft sell

Thinking back to all of the government mandated courses I've had at school I'd say the course will be as useful as a chocolate teapot for actually protecting myself and would , instead, procrastinate on why GCHQ is so nice to the public for taking their worries away.

We'll be all fine so long as we follow the law, old or new...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like