back to article UK spaceport, phase two: Now where do we PUT the bleeding thing?

The UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has narrowed its shortlist of potential locations for Europe's first spaceport, which would provide a UK base for future commercial space flights and satellite launches. In response to a three-month consultation on the plans, the UK government said that it had received "widespread …

Page:

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Boffin

Where to put it?

Somewhere close to the equator, would seem like a good bet...

GJC

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Where to put it?

North coast of Scotland would work for conventional launches to polar orbits, with only Svalbard in the way. Other inclinations favour equatorial, so Diego Garcia BIOT would be a candidate. Although I suppose there must be a reason that the UK chose Woomera and not BIOT for its last and only previous orbital launch.

If we don't actually know what form the orbital space planes of the future will take, or has Aland Bond managed to make more progress than we know?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Although I suppose there must be a reason that the UK chose Woomera and not BIOT for its last and only previous orbital launch."

1: it's closer to the equator

2: They already had launch facilities there

3: not much downrange except roos and kiwis.

2. Chris Miller

Correct, Geoff. The other requirement is a good deal of unoccupied area to the west of the site. Failed birds and spent stages from Canaveral or Kourou tend to come down in mid-Atlantic, failed launches from the UK?

1. Anonymous Custard
        Trollface

Failed birds and spent stages from Canaveral or Kourou tend to come down in mid-Atlantic, failed launches from the UK?

Somewhere in Eastern France maybe, around Strasbourg?

Hmm, suddenly I can maybe see why the Govt wanted to include the more southerly locations as an option...

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

ailed launches from the UK?

Depending on the location - Central and south Eastern Europe and parts of Middle East or thereabouts. Out of all possible Eu locations Britain is one of the most useless.

There are reason you know why Russians are building their new facility all the way on the Pacific Ocean coast.

So if there is to be another (besides Kuru) Eu facility, Azores are probably the best location - lots of sea folllowed by Sahara desert Eastwards from there. If the facility is to be "100% British", then Ascencion island is the best choice. It has the right size of runway too and complies will all other criteria.

3. druck Silver badge
        Facepalm

Chris Miller wrote:

The other requirement is a good deal of unoccupied area to the west of the site.

To the east, so that you get a boost from the rotation of the earth. Unless you want a hazardous retrograde orbit, with things coming at you head on at up to 36,000 miles per hour. Only the Isreali's have had to do that so far due to unfriendly nations to the east, which might construe a launch over their territories as an attack.

4. ideapete
        Pint

come down on Birmingham

1. Anonymous Custard
          Boffin

I dunno why we'd need runways. Everyone knows that British rockets will launch from a rocket sled riding on rails (possibly using maglev, but that was never explained in the show).

And with their usual impeccable timing, they just sold the East Coast mainline back to private hands. That would have been perfect, nice long run-up and all that. Although having to stop every few miles for leaves on the line, broken trains and freight might I guess put a crimp on things somewhat...

5. MacBlack

Surely you mean unoccupied land to the east not west? The atlantic is to the east of cape canaveral. As for a British overseas territory near the equator, Diego Garcia is pretty much taken over by the USAF and is a key ground site for the USA GPS system, however Ascension Island is closer (Atlantic) and is a similar distance south of the equator, 7°56', and it has the perfect name.

3. streaky

Guys we're talking about space planes so..

4. Benchops

> Somewhere close to the equator, would seem like a good bet...

Sri Kanda mountain on the island of Taprobane

1. Alan J. Wylie

> Sri Kanda mountain on the island of Taprobane

Oooh - that's the second time today I can mention butterflies.

1. Julz

Diego Garcia, has a big long runway, close to the equator and is home to just a few USA'ers squatting and not paying any rent.

1. Heathroi

you try and shift those Americans. they might prove a bit more troublesome than the natives.

http://johnpilger.com/videos/stealing-a-nation

2. paulc

Ascension Island... no squatters there at all...

and perfectly situated...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Ascension_Island

5. Stevie

Re: Somewhere close to the equator, would seem like a good bet...

So, what, Lizard Point then?

I dunno why we'd need runways. Everyone knows that British rockets will launch from a rocket sled riding on rails (possibly using maglev, but that was never explained in the show).

Can't wait to be issued with my flying motor scooter.

1. arrbee

"Everyone knows that British rockets will launch from a rocket sled riding on rails"

I never really understood why they landed the main craft each time they returned to Space City when for most of their extra-terrestrial visits they used Junior and left the rest in orbit.

1. Stevie

"I never really understood why they landed the main craft each time they returned to Space City when for most of their extra-terrestrial visits they used Junior and left the rest in orbit."

There are only two seats in Junior. Professor Matthew Matic needs to get out and stretch his legs too, you know, and the Lazoon needs to be let out for a crap sometime.

6. NoneSuch Silver badge

At the RAF St Mawgan base. Down south, ocean on two sides and still has an operational RAF contingent.

7. Roland6 Silver badge

>Somewhere close to the equator

Ascension Island?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Islands

Islands are a terrible place to put your... well anything big that requires frequent large imports. There's a reason we built the Cape Canaveral space port in Florida and not in Hawai'i. To build the space port in Hawai'i, first we'd have to ship in ALL the building materials. Then, we'd have to ship every last piece of the rocket/shuttle to the island. Sending it by ship isn't too much more expensive than the rail we currently use, but it's a lot slower. Sending it by plane is fast, but expensive.

You really want your space port on the same piece of land as all your manufacturing facilities.

1. twelvebore

We (the UK) don't have any manufacturing facilities for large rockets - because we don't build large rockets. Or small rockets. Or any rockets.

Moreover, Arianespace don't build their rockets in French Guiana. They manage to ship stuff across an ocean. Compared to the complexity of funding, designing, building and launching a meaningfully-sized launch vehicle, moving the bits around is a minor logistical challenge.

Ascension Island is potentially very attractive. Politically it's not going to happen though, because at the end of the day this whole project isn't about serious space, it's about space tourism.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: we don't build large rockets. Or small rockets. Or any rockets.

Yes we do.

http://www.starchaser.co.uk/

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Moreover, Arianespace don't build their rockets in French Guiana. They manage to ship stuff across an ocean."

It's a _lot_ easier to move stuff to a launch site via sea than rail. No pesky tunnels limiting diameter for starters. The current USA setup is all about Pork Barrels, not practicality.

In the 1960s a lot of seriously large stuff was shipped to Canaveral by barge.

8. andy k O'Croydon
      Boffin

I'd put it under a swimming pool, the lid of which will slowly retract whenever it needs to be launched.

(Brains) >>

9. ideapete
      Pint

NM USA they have a spare one no one is using

10. Mayhem

I seem to recall Peter F Hamilton having floating runways anchored offshore in the Atlantic which had spaceflight capability. That would seem logical enough - and it means you can launch in any direction by just turning the ship around or sailing it south for equatorial launches.

Pykrete might be a plausible base, or just build it like a scaled up oil platform out of a number of segments.

2. Robin Bradshaw

My extremely rough calculations using google earth suggest that if the spaceport was built in Hastings in east sussex we could drop all our spent first stages on Brussels, assuming they land about 160miles east of the launch site like the shuttle SRB's

1. frank ly

Since they seem to be thinking about spaceplanes, it wouldn't have a 'traditional' first stage drop. The west coast and northern tip locations might have been chosen to ensure that a failed launch landed in the Atlantic rather that mainland Europe or Scandinavia. I assume they'll aim it to avoid overflying Ireland.

3. Anonymous Blowhard

I'm sure we're missing something here

Not wanting to put a dampener on this, but shouldn't we have a space vehicle before we build a spaceport? But the UK government has also managed to build aircraft carriers without aircraft, so maybe it's just being consistent.

I'm guessing that the target is a facility for a Skylon, or similar, vehicle rather than a rocket launching facility, since it makes much more sense to launch rockets from nearer the equator.

But why not invest in actual space vehicles first and get them launched from an appropriate existing facility? This just seems like a bit of a diversion from a country who's government hasn't even participated in any manned space program; I guess landowners prefer land to technology.

For what it's worth, Newquay gets my vote; at least you can enjoy the beach whilst waiting for a launch.

1. Ragarath

Re: I'm sure we're missing something here

Because building the spaceport here first, specifically designed to meet the needs of these new vehicles would then encourage development here and make people doing it the other way round rent our facilities.

1. Anonymous Custard

Not wanting to put a dampener on this, but shouldn't we have a space vehicle before we build a spaceport?

Come on, this is the mob whose upcoming new aircraft carriers are due to be finished and in service at least a couple of years before the aircraft that they're supposed to be carrying will become available.

So having the port before something to launch from it is almost par for the course...

2. Tom 7

Re:Re: I'm sure we're missing something here

And so we can have a space-port built for some completely out of date launch technology which is what will happen.

2. AbelSoul
      Headmaster

Re: Newquay gets my vote; at least you can enjoy the beach

Prestwick also has a beach as, I'm sure do most of the other candidates.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Barra Airport in the Outher Hebrides _is_ a beach.

Could be tricky to set up and launch all during a single low tide though.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Prestwick also has a beach as, I'm sure do most of the other candidates."

...and when the SNP force repeated independence votes until they wear everyone down enough to win, "our" spaceport will be on foreign soil.

3. Grikath

You're not missing a thing actually..

Delusions of former Empire dictate that Britain Must Have Toys As Well, which in and of itself sidetracks common sense from the start.

March of the zombies and all that.

1. Lyndon Hills 1

Yeah, but times are hard. I envisage something like a school playground, surrounded by a few sheds. Hopefully with a decent local nearby.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge
          Mushroom

Not missing anything. Check out cargo cults. Build space port, space planes will come! Let Norman Foster design it and they won't be able to afford the landing fees though. Let Heathrow Epxress run the connection service and nobody but Branson will be able to afford to get to the space port.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Guyana?

You can launch both North and East without endangering any populated areas, and its close to the equator.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Guyana?

Falklands?

2. WraithCadmus

Well if you want British, equatorial, and on an eastern coast then surely the answer is Belize?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought Guyana was a former British colony, rather like Belize?

And from Belize you might run into problems if a northern launch went wrong. Most of the Yucutan is barely inhabited low-canopy rain forest, but there are some good-sized cities like Merida that you wouldn't want to drop shrapnel on.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

Runways have other uses

Like delivering the payloads and support equipment to the site.

Near term you're talking about sounding rockets, allowing UK universities to do what German and other Continental universities can do and give their students hands on experience of sending a paylod to space. Sounding rockets could let students do a launch as an end-of-course project.

The other near term option is for Virgin Galactics sub orbital space ride, as possibly XCOR's Lynx.

REL's Skylon is the big one of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Runways have other uses

"Near term you're talking about sounding rockets, allowing UK universities to do what German and other Continental universities can do"

My employer (a uk university) has been launching sounding rockets since 1964. It still happens but it isn't glamorous (or for the most part, terribly useful anymore), so noone pays attention.

6. JDX Gold badge

North East

After all it's apparently a desolate wasteland. And we could do with the jobs.

1. dogged

Re: North East

North West. North West Wales, that is. Anyone who's been to Hollyhead knows that once there, all you want to do is leave. There's already the ferry port, I reckon the option of escaping into space would prove popular given that it's sunnier, warmer and less fucking miserable than Anglesey.

Also, you could drop the spent casings on Birmingham which is a bonus.

1. Danny 14

I was thinking southport for along the same lines. You have plenty of runways about and you can drop the stages on Manchester.

2. streaky

In all fairness, if I didn't think I'd regret it later I'd probably suggest RAF Scampton as a decent candidate for all sorts of good reasons - including North and South of it could do with some jobs.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like