back to article World’s oldest IT dining society breaks into the House of Lords

If you’ve ever wanted to network like a lord while having your brain stretched, now’s your chance. Venerable tech dining society The Real Time Club is holding a dinner at the House of Lords on 12 March. Lord Lucas of Crudwell and Dingwall will be hosting the evening and the RTC has roped in the founders of Decoded as after- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lord Lucas of Crudwell and Dingwall...

...that's some Gamertag!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Lord Lucas of Crudwell and Dingwall...

How many of us read that as Lord Lucan?

2. TheOtherHobbes

Will !Lord #Bong be there.

I'm only going if he is.

1. Cliff

He'll be the one in the Harris Tweed dinner jacket.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
        Holmes

Damn good show.

All good IT decisions are made over a liquid lunch, time UK Government IT policy was set the same way.

1. Ben Bonsall

Re: Damn good show.

They tried that, unfortunately government rules say you must have a secretary present if a decision is to be taken. So the official decision is taken after the lunch, when no one can quite remember what was decided before the brandy arrived. Because of course you wouldn't want the secretary taking notes over lunch.

(Dramatization, may not have happened)

1. Magnus Ramage

Regarding secretaries being present, this from the first episode of Yes Minister:

"Jim Hacker: Who else is in this department?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Well briefly sir I am the Permanent Undersecretary of State known as the Permanent Secretary. Wooley here is your Principle Private Secretary. I too have a Principle Private Secretary, and he is the Principle Private Secretary to the Permanent Secretary. Directly responsible to me are ten Deputy Secretaries, eighty-seven Undersecretaries and two hundred and nineteen assistant secretaries. Directly responsible to the Principle Private Secretaries are Plain Private Secretaries. The Prime Minister will be appointing two Parliamentary Undersecretaries and you will be appointing your own Parliamentary Private Secretary.

Jim: Can they all type?

Sir Humphrey: None of us can type Minister, Mrs McKay types, she's the secretary."

1. Sarah Balfour

Hate to ruin a YPM quote, but 'principal', Shirley…?

1. Magnus Ramage

Guilty as charged, m'lady. That's what you get for copying text from fan sites without checking them thoroughly. Sorry.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon