back to article Sales up at NSA SIM hack scandal biz Gemalto

Sales at the world's biggest SIM card maker, Gemalto, which was last month revealed to have been hacked by the NSA and GCHQ, rose by five per cent to €2.5bn (£1.8bn) in 2014. Following the hack, the company's share price fell by $470m last month. However, the latest results do not appear to have appeased investors, with shares …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gemalto....

...sounds like they should be making ice cream.

2. Sebastian A

Oh dear...

"As always, our success is built on trust."

Welp, time to find some new foundations for that success. Might I suggest "Close ties with Western governments" as being a natural successor?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I was going to leave an insightful comment with some juicy facts as an AC, but...

... then I realised I was using a mobile phone! Doh!

So I logged onto my laptop and began typing then realised that my Gemalto VPN dongle might have a compromised key. Hmm. Maybe I should just put all my faith in poor ol' SSL, but.. doh! El Reg's forums are not even configured to use https!

So now what I write will get logged, traced, attributed to me, stored, indexed (and shared). Alerts may then be configured should any future surveillance algorithm indicate my comments be worthy of assessment, just in case I need to be sent to a labour camp for re-education. And all that will happen long before one word gets even 1/20th of the way to the UK. Now this is all vital to the security of the state and safety of our nation('s governing class), I understand.

Of course, like all my sharp-toothed comrades, the development of AI and the mechanisms it will use to catalogue and control us I look forward to most keenly!

So after all these years of people whinging, why does this drag on so? Has 'Ol' fiveeyes' compelled El Reg to keep comments in the clear, or does El Reg not trust the available Public Key Infrastructures?

Does El Reg feel contributors are unworthy of protection?

Should we just get off our high horse and travel to London and request an interview inside their 'Cone of silence'?

Perhaps these questions go too far- maybe El Reg is just too cheap to configure SSL with forums.theregister.co.uk...

El Reg, please consider, I might have had something juicy to tell you!

It is time to configure some form of SSL or perhaps even go all the way and make life easier for contributors by using something like https://www.grc.com/sqrl/sqrl.htm. It's even FOSS, FFS!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like