back to article Reddit showers gold on drugs, hippies and Tor-rorists

4chan-for-beginners website Reddit has announced the winners of its charity give-away. The site said that it would donate 10 per cent of its ad revenues from the last year - US$827,659.49 - to 10 charities selected by its user base. Each charity will receive a check for $82,765.95 from Reddit. True to form, Redditors settled …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

That will be huge for FSF

They only get about $1 million a year in donations, and they make it go a very long way.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

there are a lot of deserving charities

But I can't say that isn't a top-notch group of charities.

3. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Headmaster

Decimate

Finally, a correct usage of the word!

So often I hear people use this term when they actually meant 'almost wiped out'.

1. Lord Egerton
      Thumb Up

Re: Decimate

Indeed, I hadn't realised it's actual definition until I read World War Z where the Russian army decimate themselves to instil discipline.

Now it bugs me when it's not used in the correct manner.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"More of an impact to some recipients than to others"

$82K will make almost no impact whatsoever on the $400M budget of Doctors Without Borders, but I don't think that anyone will call the few extra survivors a wasted effort.

5. Crazy Operations Guy

WikiMedia?

Why? They already have far too much anyway ($300,000 salaries for staff, seriously?). All of Reddit's money is probably just going to go into fueling Jimbo's private jet anyway...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WikiMedia?

If you're mad, you can go refresh the front page of Wikipedia a few hundred thousand times.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like