back to article Now with Grunt and Gulp: Cross-platform ASP.NET in new Visual Studio 2015 preview

Microsoft has released a new preview of Visual Studio 2015, which is shaping up to be a major release. Community Tech Preview 6 includes cross-platform tools for its ASP.NET web application framework. On the Windows side, this is the tool which supports Microsoft’s “universal app” strategy, allowing developers to build a …

1. dogged

On the Windows side, this is the tool which supports Microsoft’s “universal app” strategy, allowing developers to build a single app for Windows desktop, tablet and mobile.

Just to clarify, Tim - you are talking about VS2015 ("the tool") and not the ASP.NET web framework you were talking about at the end of the previous paragraph?

That's kind of confusing on the first read-through, especially as the grammar points to the latter case which is er, utter nonsense.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wake me up when VS is cross-platform - until then, it's irrelevant. As much as I love VS, it isn't good enough for me to return to Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Part of the point, is that you don't need to return to Windows. As open source compilers are supported, and with .NET going open source, you can develop cross platform .NET applications outside of Windows but which will run within Windows. For example, you can use MonoDevelop and Xamarin Studio as your IDE on Linux or Mac (or even Windows). This isn't just about bringing people back to Windows, it's also about bringing developers back to the Microsoft stack, but without requiring that they embrace the whole stack.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Exactly. Us developers are moving away from Windows.

It's good for beginners, but after a few years you grow out of it. It's about time Microsoft realised that. Welcome to the real world - I may even return to .NET next year.

1. dogged

> It's good for beginners, but after a few years you grow out of it.

"app" developer detected. Or possibly "web developer".

Come back in ten years, son. When you've written something that does some actual work.

3. All names Taken
    Alien

Can run cross platform (XP?)

Can run cross platform (XP?) I thought that was one of the aims of Windows XP?

And didn't Adobe try something similar about 2008 (write your app once export it freely?)

And how compatible is compatible?

(Some seem to think it is a binary inclusion/exclusion thing others that compatible is a %-age thang?)

1. dogged
      WTF?

Re: Can run cross platform (XP?)

> Can run cross platform (XP?) I thought that was one of the aims of Windows XP?

see icon.

2. Anonymous Bullard
      Headmaster

The "XP" in Windows XP stood for "Experience".

Yes, I know...

3. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Facepalm

Do you seriously mean you spent the last 14 years thinking Windows XP was supposed to be cross platform?

Really???

4. Someone Else Silver badge
    Unhappy

Dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century

From the Visual Studio 2015 Preview website:

In this release, the C++ compiler and standard library have been updated with enhanced support for C++11 and initial support for certain C++14 features. They also include preliminary support for certain features expected to be in the C++17 standard.

Except, of course for the fact that this release was supposed to be fully C++14 compliant (according to Bjarne Stroustrop during his traveling road show introducing C++14 to the world + dog).

Still, I suppose we should be grateful..they (finally) claim full C++11 compliance only four years after the fact. Way to go, dudes!

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century

"Still, I suppose we should be grateful..they (finally) claim full C++11 compliance only four years after the fact."

Well I followed the link but I saw no such claim. In fact, there is at least one admission that C++11 support is "partial".

Still, having spoken out on these forums in support of multiple HTML implementations, I suppose I should welcome the fact that MS still try to produce their own compiler rather than borrowing gcc or clang.

1. Richard Plinston

> I suppose I should welcome the fact that MS still try to produce their own compiler ...

The MS C compiler was originally bought in from the people who made the Lattice C compiler.

1. dogged

Yes, it was.

THIRTY FUCKING YEARS AGO.

Are you suggesting that nobody at MS has altered the compiler significantly since its release in 1985?

5. Rick Giles
    Linux

Crap in - Crap out

MS's shit is still shit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Crap in - Crap out

Is that you, Oscar Wilde?

2. Alan Bourke

I know - and there was me thinking the entire business and gaming world ran on it. Whatever was I thinking.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

"I know - and there was me thinking the entire business and gaming world ran on it. Whatever was I thinking."

Only the bits that don't run (stagger?) on Java!

2. Rick Giles
        Mushroom

"I know - and there was me thinking the entire business and gaming world ran on it. Whatever was I thinking."

Only because the Great Unwashed are to fecking stupid to demand better.

Games? Those are for consoles.

Besides, Linux has games and getting more by the day.

The tide is turning.

1. dogged
          Meh

Ah, I see. All those billion-dollar industries are stupid. Good thing you're so much cleverer than them.

1. Rick Giles
            Mushroom

Yes they are stupid. Stupid for paying MS for their license bullying.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"And, of course, you have the commercials where savvy businesspeople Get Ahead

by using their MacIntosh computers to create the ultimate American business

product: a really sharp-looking report." - Dave Barry

I think this applies to Microshaft too...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like