back to article NetApp: Don’t know about the hybrid cloud? Then you’re a dummy

This storage Vulture confesses to never having understood the appeal of writing books specifically for dummies, for example NetApp's not-very-magnum opus, Hybrid Cloud for Dummies. Maybe it's just US humour and we just don't get it this side of the pond. NetApp dummies hybrid cloud It's a special edition for NetApp and not …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

careful

>such as CIOs, CTOs, IT directors, and technical managers"... or in other words, "Dummies!"

At least with the C Suite titles they are just like the CEO only with fewer buddies on the board. That is just a little bit lower on the sociopathic career ladder as opposed to anywhere on the technical one.

2. Howard Hanek

Poor Johnny

Somewhere in China the notorious dunce cap industry is laboring overtime...The West Coast dock strike will delay the much dredded shipments to Silicon Valley.

3. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Windows

The cloud...

I've considered it. And declined. Guess that makes me a dummy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The cloud...

No it usually either means you have specific requirements such as compliance, or that within two years your decision will be overridden by your bosses boss and you'll have your mind changed. Your comment reminds me of virtualisation nay Sayers a few years back :)

No doubt I'll be down voted for the unpopular opinion, and I'm OK with that but please don't downvote because you think I'm being mean, I meant no offence to Zog, I see this scenario all the time and that's how it plays out. Often even the compliance conscious places go cloud with orders from the CEO.

1. EssEll

Don't worry. I tried to explain some benefits of cloud in another post and got downvoted. Genuinely don't know why.

1. Steven Roper

"Don't worry. I tried to explain some benefits of cloud in another post and got downvoted. Genuinely don't know why."

Then let me explain cloud avoidance in simple layman's terms:

One, I don't control the box the data is stored in, and therefore who can get to it. Two, I don't want my data held to ransom for whatever monthly fee you choose to charge me to access it. Capiche?

1. The Islander
            Alert

Re: The cloud... @ Steven Roper

I see your point, but remember that in large organisations the "real" users are typically operating under a chargeback / fixed cost / allocation for IT services provided by an internal group. They may not see quite as many challenges with a cloudy solution as you, yet definitely see $ signs.

I'm just reflecting on the (harsh) reality I see, that non-IT folks are bombarded with the hyper-vaunted benefits of Cloud, one of which is often a bypass for the IT group. How long can we keep a finger in the dyke?

Again I tend to concur with your sentiment, but I am also cursed with a dominant gene for scepticism.

2. Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen - he was #1!

...or you've run the numbers and it didn't (yet) stack up for you, which is our situation. My CEO is very good at understanding 'cheaper', 'more expensive', 'risk' and 'business impact/business enablement'. And one day, the numbers, risk, etc will stack up for us and I'll either be 'this is how we'll do it' or 'give me my coat'. And I can tell you I won't be reaching for my coat too quickly.

The most foolish thing you can do is to say 'no, that's not for me' and try to close the door, because the world changes and someday it might just be the exact right thing to do.

The virtualisation analogy is spot on.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Appeal Americans.

First, please do not mistake my cynical point of view for over exaggeration, for this is one of the few times (very few) my point of view matches reality exactly!

Where I'm at in America, the public libraries have trashed EVERYTHING fundamental and replaced it with "Dummie" books, this is NOT an exaggeration. So, either the appeal is that Americans are Dummies, or American publishers are Dummies. Of course, there is the fact that the publisher of these books seem to be in bed with politicians pretty heavily in obscure ways (research it, it's awkwardly strange).

Remember what a American public library used to have as recently as 2004? Well, that itself may be somewhere in the "history" section. Today, if you look for anything to do with "programming", "mathematics", "engineering", it's ALL "for dummies". Seas of yellow and black bound books is all you see. This plague is happening from the smallest public libraries and working its way up the scale! This is reality, no tin foil hat required.

P.S. The article never explained what "Hybrid Cloud" was :-/, was that intentional?

1. Lusty

Re: Appeal Americans.

What the hell is a Reg reader doing in a library full of dead trees?!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you have kids you just can't let them use strictly internet resources, or else you wind up with kids who cite wikipedia as their only source. Not so obviously, but it is :-/, is what I've been finding is that you really can't let them use the internet strictly for research because search engines spit out the same top 15 things. Wikipedia is usually at the top, but if it isn't, then it's another page that is citing Wikipedia. Eventually, I'm going to just suggest to children to edit Wikipedia themselves and put in whatever they think/feel is the "truth", at least that way they feel they have "contributed", and besides, that is what everyone else seems to do.

No shit, the internet isn't a great research tool anymore (unless you count marketing companies doing research with it, on you).

1. Lusty

If you don't know how to use a search engine, maybe. The Internet is actually fast becoming the only source of good information on a lot of topics because research doesn't need to be published in physical form any more, and physical reference books are gradually going away too - for instance it's almost impossible to buy a new Encyclopaedia these days. When searching the internet, if you narrow the search to .edu and .ac domains such as .ac.uk then you get real reasearch returned.

Your time would be far better spent making sure the kids can use current tools properly rather than trying to get them using outmoded tools. By the time current young ones leave college there almost certainly won't be a local library for them to visit, and definitely won't be any local book shops.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like