back to article City broadband ISPs: PLEEEEASE don't do 'Title II' net neutrality

No less than 43 small ISPs have written to US watchdog the FCC [PDF] asking that it not introduce Title II legislation later this month. According to the broadband slingers, who hail from 16 states of America and have on average just over 4,000 subscribers each, reclassifying internet providers as common carriers will cause …

1. joed

we've seen it before

Some asked for public option/competition in the health insurance market, we've got forced into paying to private for profit insurers.

Now all we'd asked was to allow for true competition on the ISP market, I bet we'll get hosed. Somehow I doubt Wheeler had our welfare on his mind when he jumped out with Title II (especially judging by where he's come from and where he'll end up at after FCC - any bets where?).

1. Mark 85

Re: we've seen it before

No bets from here. The reason being is that Congress can override or undo anything the FCC does. Any change from Congress will probably not happen until after the new President gets sworn in and that's only if he's Republican. The other if, would be that Congress keeps going the way it's going and just stays stalemated. Again, that could change in the next election.

The whole of government (FCC included) is pretty dysfunctional at this time and heaven knows what will happen if Congress and the President managed to agree on something.

2. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

Title II means you're probably going to be stuck with Comcast forever. It'll be around in 100 years time, as a price controlled, regulated giant.

But that's OK. People love Comcast.

1. tom dial Silver badge

And thank you for the only lucid explanation of Net Neutrality that I have seen, anywhere, ever.

2. Daniel B.

Legislation

The problem with legislation on this topic is that both legislative bodies are now controlled by the GOP. GOPsters hate Net Neutrality and thus won't bring up any new legislation that would enshrine that. So the only option seems to be Title II, even if it does suck as a solution.

3. Bob Dole (tm)

Having educated myself on both the history of title II and the companies subjected to them I'm finding it really hard to believe that there is anything wrong with it.

The FCC appears to have done right so far.

4. Erik4872

I think it's a good idea

My choices for broadband access are basically the (really good) local cable company and Verizon FiOS. I know that not everyone has a good set of options, and this seems like a good idea to set standards.

ISP service is a utility now, just like water, electricity or gas. You're basically paying someone to route data packets to and from your house, much like you pay for electricity into the house, or wastewater/garbage out of it. It doesn't seem out of line for the FCC or state public service commissions to regulate the standards of service. ISPs routinely oversubscribe links, or conveniently forget to fix problems in areas that are hard to serve (example: rural locations.) If every customer were afforded a minimum standard of service, and could choose to pay for more than the minimum (and get what they pay for) then this is a good thing. It would force carriers to maintain their infrastructure instead of just letting it rot away. Everyone hated the AT&T monopoly on phone service, but at least everyone was reasonably assured that their phones would be working whenever they wanted to make a call. That was the price AT&T paid for the ability to charge monopoly level rates -- they had to keep their networks in good shape. Same thing here -- treating data as a commodity to be pumped in and out of your house is the right way to go IMO.

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Small ISPs?

The list of signatures looks like it's from mayors and public utility companies. I'm not seeing any independent providers in there. Unfortunately, I think that mostly says that independent providers don't exist any more.

6. WVN Network Administrator

Network Administrator

I'm an owner/operator of an Independent ISP in Northeast Oregon. I and two of my friends pooled a few thousand dollars of savings to get started, and have spent 5 years of our lives building out a network that now covers 500 square miles of rural Oregon with real broadband speed. We offer up to 26Mbps. We built it using internally generated cash, we don't have bank loans, we don't use public rights of way, we aren't subsidized by public money.

Now the government is coming in and in effect taking the first steps towards nationalizing my company. The public has been taught to see the Internet as a human right, like air and water. It feels it has a right to my labor, and the government is happy to oblige. I have a problem with this.

We've solved the problem out here. All it took was a handful of committed entrepreneurs a few years. Stay out of our way, stay off our backs, and we'll finish the job.

Squeeze too hard, and we'll shrug off the burden and walk away.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like