back to article 'Worse than I imagined': FCC commish slams chief's net neutrality bid

FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai used a Tuesday press conference to slam net neutrality rules that are expected to be approved by the regulator later this month. "I have studied the 332-page plan in detail, and it is worse than I had imagined," Pai told the room of reporters and tech policy analysts before giving six reasons why he …

1. Huckleberry Muckelroy

He didn't read it!

That jerk Pai ran off at the mouth with his partisan comments indicating his corporate ownership, and admitted that he had not read the proposed regulations yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He didn't read it!

What?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

His Wikipedia Resume indicates that he was a Featured Speaker at ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council) - a.k.a. Corporations Writing Laws And Legislatures Passing Them Verbatim, along with many other Corporate Shill achievements and credentials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajit_Varadaraj_Pai

So, not that surprising.

1. earl grey
        Mushroom

You're assuming he CAN read....

2. Gray
    Boffin

Business as usual

Secret texts, no public disclosure, changes in the regulations following votes and passage ... see how governance has evolved in 'Murka?

1. Dan Paul

Re: Business as usual

You mean the same as in Blighty then?

3. User McUser
    Meh

BTW, here are his 6 points

In case you were too busy to read it, here's my summary of Commissioner Pai's 6 objections to the proposed rules:

1. The plan includes possible rate regulation.

2. It prevents per-unit charges for service, transfer caps, and other ways to monetize the end user.

3. Lets the FCC make ISPs do things they might not want to do.

4. Lawyers still exist and these rules don't stop them from maybe taking the ISP's money[*].

5. ISPs will have to file more paperwork and can't do whatever they want to "just because."

6. Taxes still exist and new ones might be applied to ISPs.

[*] Because up until now lawyers have shown so much restraint.

4. fishbone
    Pint

Ah well, it was grand fun using the net till they took it from me, guess I'll go back to old hardcovers.

5. fishbone

As an OBTW I saw Mr Pai on CNN a couple of nights ago and had no liking for the gentleman, but I don't know much about him or any of the other commissioners either. Can they be less likable?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Sure. Unlikability is not a finite resource.

Personally, I don't expect much good or bad to come out of this whole dust-up, regardless of what happens with Wheeler's proposal. Not saying that it won't, just that I think it's improbable that any great change will be achieved one way or the other. Hegemonic capitalism is pretty robust, and slapping a few more regulations on a large and amorphous sector of it, or failing to do so, generally doesn't seem to make much difference in the medium term.

There are exceptions, but they're just that - exceptions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like