back to article Alibaba's magic cave empties as it misses revenue target

Chinese online tat bazaar Alibaba has not only posted disappointing results, been caned by the stock market but now has also fallen foul of China's government for knowingly hosting sellers of counterfeit kit. The company reported that it earned $964m for the last quarter of 2014 on revenue of $4.22bn. The earnings number was …

1. Archaon
    Coat

Meh

What else should we expect from the official home of the $9 1TB USB flash drive?

1. Otto is a bear.

Re: Meh

Was that HDD, SSD or Flash? I just want to know how good the bargain is before I'm ripped off.

1. Archaon

Only flash. Can't make it too attractive or the punters will realise!

1. Otto is a bear.

Pity, I was up for an SSD, after all $9 how can you loose. ;-)

1. Archaon

USB RAID them! Imagine the awesomeness of that 20TB array.

https://cs.joensuu.fi/~mmeri/usbraid/

1. Anonymous Coward
              Pint

and make sure that you use RAID 0 so anyone, except an absolutely badass nerd, can't make heads or tails of them. Hey, that might actually be useful! Total security by obscurity.

2. Valeyard

YAY!

you HAD to be sitting on that subheadline, I bet you were ecstatic when the opportunity came up, and to be fair I was too :D

3. Chris Miller

I'm shocked

Shocked! to learn that counterfeit goods are available in China.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"knowingly hosting sellers of counterfeit kit."

That's the problem. Take care not to know & you're OK.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

It aint just fakes.

Mate plugged a 9v adapter into his 5v dab radio. Result, one popped IC.

So a quick google revealed I could buy ANY number of this chip, provided that any number was a min of 10 and a max of 100,000.

So I mailed the sellers who were selling 10's to see if I could negotiate a buy 1 deal for a modest price.

Overwhelmingly the answer was NO, NIET, NIEN.

So now my mate has a landfill radio for the sake of a chip that costs less than £1. Hell, I would have paid $20 shipping as it meant I could have repaired his radio for much less than the price of a new one and would have saved some landfill space.

THAT’S my beef with ali-baba, no use selling everything in the world if you won’t sell it to people like me who need a one off.... Not like I wasn’t willing to pay massively overpriced shipping....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: It aint just fakes.

Not sure I believe you, I got a 99p component from AliExpress last year - with free postage.

Paris, ahhh, if only she would turn up in the post wearing nothing but bubble wrap.

1. ian 22

@the other Ian

Would you accept a Paris knockoff? The real one is currently out of stock.

PS: bubble wrap is extra.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And what reason do I have to lie?

The IC in question was out of a Pure DAB radio. I cant remember the exact number but it was basically the entire thing on one ic the size of my little finger nail....

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I bought two Nexus 7 screens, no customs tax or shipping. They even included the required tools. Also got follow up on whether it all worked which was a definite change of pace.

2. Goldmember

It's aimed at wholesalers/ retailers, not consumers.

Although there are those on there who will sell singles, just depends on the product.

6. Mark 85

Hmm...

Is there a Yahoo! connection? Like Yahoo! knew this was coming when they announced the spin-off? Or something else... like AOL, everything Yahoo! touches turns to crap?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like