back to article What was Tim Cook worth to Apple in 2014? $9 MILLION, apparently

Apple more than doubled chief exec Tim Cook's remuneration for 2014, handing him a bulging package worth $9.22m – including his $1.75m (£1.25m) base salary and a $6.7m (£4.5m) bonus. The compensation reflects the company's "extraordinary year in 2014", it said in its annual report (PDF). Sales at Apple rose seven per cent by …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

how does this compare to the heads of ... say,

Oracle,

IBM,

Microsoft

HP

Google

Facebook

Twitter?

etc?

For a company this size, it does not seem to be that high.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: how does this compare to the heads of ... say,

" $1.75m (£1.25m) base salary and a $6.7m (£4.5m) bonus"

That's how you make bankers look hard done by.

And the vast majority of the population sick to the stomach.

1. El_Fev

Unlike the banks, if apple goes under we don't have to bail em out. Not a penny of my Tax money has gone to apple, although they have made sure to have paid as little as possible. So in cooks case I'm not too fussed , the company is earning loads, without risking the economy so fair play to him.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Not a penny of my Tax money has gone to apple"

How do you know? Are you sure none of the various levels of govt. where you live buy Apple products with your taxes?

2. Smoking Gun

Fair play? No thoughts about the underpaid and overworked employees in the supply chain (Foxxconn), with terrible working conditions, who are falling asleep on the job because they were working 18 hour days, or living 10 a room in shared accommodation as it keeps Apples costs down when they relocate workers from rural areas into cities, or the harsh employee treatment as there is another 1000 people they could employee waiting to take their jobs. All good though, as you still get your iPhone for £499 while Apple execs take home multi-million dollar pay day. Welcome capitalism.

2. TechicallyConfused

The real potential money is in the share options

£6M pa doesn't seem astronomically high given the performance of Apple and its worth.

I notice they don't mention the share allowances in here, which is where the real value is probably hidden.

It also doesn't note the value of other benefits and expenses allowance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The real potential money is in the share options

When he took the CEO job he was given a million shares vesting in two chunks over the next 10 years, or a little over $70 million a year at current share prices.

I don't think Apple is giving out options to execs anymore, as others have had similar (but smaller) share awards that vest over time to insure the person stays in their post.

3. JDX Gold badge

In all fairness he probably does deserve it based on company performance - he's in charge of a company which has grown in value incredibly under his reign.

1. Mark 85

You might be right. But I'll toss in that the grunts in the trenches doing the work should also benefit.

4. raving angry loony

Hmm.

Tim Cook manages a company that makes money and wins, gets 9 million.

Gregg Steinhafel of Target Canada oversees one of the biggest retail failures anywhere, leaving behind a bankrupt company that owes $5 billion to creditors, and gets $61 million for his efforts.

Either Tim Cook has some other remuneration that they aren't talking about, or Steinhafel just demonstrated why some directors and shareholders are complete idiots.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like