back to article Want a cheap Office-er-riffic tablet? Microsoft Windows takes on Android

With little fanfare, the Windows tablet market is changing. Step into your local supermarket, and you may see Windows tablets on show priced below equivalent Android devices. A sensible purchase? Here is a look at a fine example, a Linx 8 purchased from Sainsbury’s for £89.99 (even better deals are available online). It is one …

Page:

1. Jim 48

I'm wavering over whether to get one of these, partly as a media player connected over HDMI to the tele. It should allow me to retire the NowTV, AppleTV & Chromecast.

Also of note, you can get a £30 trade-in cashback (you have to send off an old working tablet) by buying from some suppliers (incl. Amazon, Staples & eBuyer).

Still wavering though.

1. Nifty Silver badge

With Android and IOS, content providers such as 4OD have in the past specifically blocked the use of the HDMI port when playing their media. I suggest check if this happens to be true with this tablet.

1. dogged

> content providers such as 4OD have in the past specifically blocked the use of the HDMI port when playing their media

I would suggest that this is an unlikely strategy when that software is running on what is, essentially,a full Windows PC.

You block the HDMI port, how is anyone supposed to use a monitor?

1. Nifty Silver badge

Which part was hard to understand of "content providers such as 4OD"?

2. Synonymous Howard

Surely you only need to block playing 'videos' through HDMI if it does not support HDCP at both ends .. does not mean you could not use it as a monitor.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"unless you use Google Mail"

Just forward it to Outlook.com and minimise The Borg's spying on you.

These are a no brainer - a far more secure and fully featured OS compared to Android for similar money. If you really need Android apps then just run BlueStacks, but there are over 500,000 Windows Store apps now...

1. petur
        Trollface

@ AC

I know you are probably trolling, but I'll risk anyway...

Forwarding GMail to Outlook just makes two Borgs spy on you, not one.

And I wouldn't be so brave to call Windows more secure than Android...

I won't respond to your remark on the apps, because that is 100% trolling.

1. dogged

> I won't respond to your remark on the apps, because that is 100% trolling

I can see the rest of the post as trollish but there are over a half million Store apps. You can easily check that. And you can indeed use Bluestacks to run Android apps should you so wish.

So would you mind explaining that?

(For clarity, I was not the AC you're responding to. I very, very rarely use AC cover on the Reg).

3. Gordon861

I was thinking of one of these for general media use until I looked at the websites FAQ.

-------------------------------

http://www.linx-tablets.com/linx-faq.html

Can you add the tablets to a network?

No, they do not support domain joining so you wouldn't be able to add to a network

Can users drag and drop files onto the tablet from a PC/laptop?

No, it is not possible as the windows tablet cannot act as mass storage device like that. The windows tablets are essentially the same as a PC/laptop, just like if you connect two laptops via USB, they cannot read either or transfer files.

If the user wants to get files to their tablet, they should transfer to a USB key then use the OTG cable to connect to the tablet and copied them to the tablet or add them to a micro SD card and insert directly to the micro SD slot and copy to the tablet from there.

-------------------------------

This might make it a little difficult to get the files you want to play onto them, other than copying them one at a time. Although BitTorrentSync might solve this problem.

The FAQ also says that the Office365 sub is locked to the tablet only, so not installable elsewhere.

Perhaps after a while someone will produce a hack that will open these up more, or a Linux install that will allow more features people want?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

"If the user wants to get files to their tablet, they should transfer to a USB key then use the OTG cable to connect to the tablet and copied them to the tablet or add them to a micro SD card and insert directly to the micro SD slot and copy to the tablet from there."

Or just bounce it off a onedrive. Other cloud storage options available.

1. Hans 1

@ werdsmith

Upload 1Gb per movie ? Some of my movies are closer to 5Gb in size, are you serious ? Wanna watch a movie, darling ? Ok, we will have to wait 30 minutes for it to download, darling.

1. dogged

@Hans 1

I was going to say "then use the SD card" but then I remembered that you are Hans 1 and therefore this tablet sucks because Microsoft had something to do with it.

So you won't buy one anyway.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

"Upload 1Gb per movie ? Some of my movies are closer to 5Gb in size, are you serious ? Wanna watch a movie, darling ? Ok, we will have to wait 30 minutes for it to download, darling."

You need a different device then. Something like a telly.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

"Upload 1Gb per movie ? Some of my movies are closer to 5Gb in size, are you serious ? Wanna watch a movie, darling ? Ok, we will have to wait 30 minutes for it to download, darling."

You can always use the little SD card slot on the top for the larger files if really are determined to avoid the huge life-endangering faff with the USB.

2. Efros

Network Shares Work fine

Just connect to a shared directory and copy what you need.

3. JenniP

I own one of these (great little machine it is too).

The not being able to add to a domain is down to the version of Windows 8 installed on it.

You can drag and drop files from a PC/laptop, but only via wifi you cant plug in a USB cable into your PC and the other end into the tablet (as its micro USB), and drag and drop files that way. Or you could sync it via OneDrive of course.

For USB sticks I use something like this (Cant find my model)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Dual-Drive-SDDD-064G-G46/dp/B00HR7J3CA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421842497&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+otg+stick+64gb

Normal USB one end, micro USB the other so it works on the tablet and a normal PC.

Yes the copy of Office 365 is locked to that tablet (and that version of Windows so no installing the Windows 10 preview and expecting to get it).

4. joed

Few words of caution from the owner of 8" Toshiba Excite (?). Mine came with 2GB RAM and this seems sufficient for 32bit OS, 1GB sounds less then optimal. Also the processor in mine is minimally better and has dual channel RAM (may actually matter for the integrated graphics). My device handles full HD youtube (and such) surprisingly well, way better than "ancient" C2Duo laptop with dedicated Ati video chip. I use it as a stationary "tabletop" connected to 1600*1200 20" monitor. HDMI was a must have for my use pattern and it works fine. Now the bad part. The only USB port is also the charging port - using it for both charging and attaching extra devices is doable but not every Y cable worked for me (also not every charging adapter worked). Having USB 3.0 would be nice. You'll - probably - have to use USB mouse/kb (and find a working Y cable;) as the built in Bluetooth interface is most likely crap (I would lose WiFi connection, BT moude/kb or both at times, wireless performance was also slower than without BT). I wished it had real network (Ethernet) access. Windows 8.1 Home is crap (no Media Center option for you) and 32GB is borderline sufficient (supposedly it won't handle MCE even if you upgraded to 8.1 Pro, maybe with the use of simlinks). SD card option is another must have, unless you're willing to sell your soul to cloud provider(s) - I'm running mine with local accounts and have no plans to switch. I think that performance deteriorated somewhat over time but this can be just my perception.

Unless you had to have the built in screen (I wanted really portable replacement for my old laptop) you may consider getting small box with Celeron or Atom CPU - the setup will be more flexible, it'll be faster and if something goes wrong you can actually fix it (it'll be fun to reimage Windows on my tablet if built in recovery partition failed).

5. Sirius Lee

@jim - do it. I bought the 7" model (£65+VAT) and I use it every day and I'm blown away given the price. It's running full Windows 8.1 and fits in a jacket pocket. I do use it for business but then I have a full Office 365 licence which allows me to use it on up to 5 devices - this is one of them. I run Outlook hooked up to Exchange.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance - especially given. It's not going to do well playing CoD but opening Word or Outlook or Excel there's no discernible difference between it any my laptop on these activities. I hope this is the way of the future. Inexpensive and functional devices in a range of sizes all running Windows.

Streams well and watching Netflix either using the Windows 8 app or in a browser is smooth.

I don't use it but did checkout that I'm able to display at 1920x1200 using the HDMI connector even though the internal display is 1280x800. Compare this with my Iconia Android device which is only able to project at the same resolution.

The one thing I had to add is a mouse app. Being a touch screen device, there is no mouse unless you plugin in a keyboard. The touch screen is very good but sometimes is is necessary to be a little more precise and a mouse cursor is needed or if the display is projected onto another monitor (not using the 'copy screen' mode). I found an app that makes the whole touch screen a mouse pad and it works very well when required.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    WTF?

Commercial use forbidden?

"Hey Google, Apple, here's the enterprise market for you - come and get it. Love, Microsoft"

FFS...

1. adnim

Re: Commercial use forbidden?

"may not be used for commercial, non-profit, or revenue-generating activities,"

Not just commercial use, non-profit and revenue generating activities too. Doesn't that cover just about everything?

Need a confused icon here... Have MS released a product that by simply using it one breaks the terms of the licence agreement?

1. joed

Well, even MS considers "non-profit" businesses an oxymoron. Time for our government to do the same and reevaluate the tax code and level the "playing field".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

Non-profits are similar to charities, simply put, all profits must go back into the business or their stated aim. e.g. saving starving kids.

2. jason 7

It's early days. Plus I'm sure MS would rather the enterprise buy Surface than these.

If my company was buying for me, I'd rather have the Surface.

1. Bleu

One colleague has a Surface. He seems pretty happy with it.

Not for me, though, I hate that type of keyboard.

3. DragonLord

This was for Microsoft office personal edition - i.e. you've not paid them enough to make money from their software.

4. herman

Nope - doesn't do Domain log-on.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price as a signal

For people who don't really need a tablet, but are thinking of getting one anyway, I've normally suggested just getting the cheapest. I now need to revise my advice.

1. dogged

Re: Price as a signal

> I now need to revise my advice

To reflect your stance in the OS Jihad? How not very enlightened of you :/

I might think about this but I had an Asus VivoTab 8 that I got for the Wacom stylus and ended up barely using it. More than anything, this was due to the awful gritty feel of the screen glass under the stylus making it genuinely unpleasant to work with.

I would get a replacement but it would need to be a similar size (between 6 and 8 inches diagonal) and a "premium" product so that it was pleasant to use.

In the meantime, I have just bought my little boy a Hudl.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To reflect your stance in the OS Jihad? How not very enlightened of you :/

Hey fanboy, I don't mind Windows 8 (with Start8 of course), but my experience with the surface hasn't been as rosy as other people on this forum (yes I have one), and I can't see this being any better. I'll advise people on what's good for them, based on my experience - and not provide false advice to encourage adoption on something I have. If I make a mistake purchase, I don't want those who rely upon my advise to do the same.

I have one of these as a 10 inch version. Got it from Staples before Christmas for £79.95. The 8 was even cheaper, Staples made some kind of price error and thousands got them for half price. I sent in really old other tablet thing and I am waiting for a cashback making it cost £30.

My linx is running SQL Server Express, and IIS. It is also running one of the Visual Studio Expresses. It does it al flawlessly and without lag. It's very light, has an optional docking keyboard with mousepad and the battery does 7 hours. For £30 it is my first taste of an 8.1 tablet (and Win8.1) and will do nicely for helping me decide if I want to get the Tosh Click Mini when it appears in April.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

My linx is running SQL Server Express, and IIS. It is also running one of the Visual Studio Expresses. It does it al flawlessly and without lag.

In 1 GB RAM? Sounds like bollocks to me.

"In 1 GB RAM? Sounds like bollocks to me."

Read the post again then. It says "10 inch version".

The 10 inch has 2GB, and it most definitely works.

4. Filippo Silver badge

So, this thing has a full Windows (by which I mean, it runs desktop programs) and costs less than a hundred? That's interesting. Windows Store apps may be few, but on the desktop you can run pretty much anything; I could see using one of these for some special-purpose application.

5. Steven Raith

Linux?

I've had a quick google and it seems this device is a bit pernicky regarding what external media it'll boot from - does anyone know if this would make a cheap, simple Linux tablet?

I haven't had real (non work related) geekery fun for ages, and it'd be interesting to see how Gnome3/Unity actually work on a tablet without dropping a couple of hundred quid on something...

Steven R

1. dogged

Re: Linux?

I think the touchscreen drivers might make that tricky.

1. Steven Raith

S'possible, but I've not been able to find any concrete tales of it working full stop, never mind getting as far as the touchscreen drivers. One would assume it'd be HID class of some sort, but admittedly, touchscreen != mouse.

I like how I got a downvote for just asking if people who were aware of this knew whether linux with a touch centric UI would install on it. There really are some sad, sad fuckers on this site.

*looks at self in mirror*

Aw, I made myself feel sad :-(

Steven R

1. Youngdog

Having been on the wrong end of similar rude behaviour you have my sympathies - some people here could do with realising they aren't as high-minded as they imagine themselves to be! Have an upvote on me to cheer you up ;-)

1. Steven Raith

Meh, there are at least three people registered on this site who are tragically close minded when it comes to fiddling with tech, given none of them have posted as to *why* it's a stupid question from a technical perspective.

I suppose it is a bit much to hope that a Windows + Bing device would allow alternate installs, but apparently the option to boot from external media is there in the BIOS - it just doesn't seem to work properly. You'd think if they wanted to bar it, they'd remove that option (and only enable manufacturer specific devices to boot off a whitelist) rather than have it there at all.

Suppose it might explain the cheapness - limited developer time for detail stuff.

Anyway, suppose I'll have to wait for that cheapy Linux tablet fiddly experience thingy. No hardship...

Steven R

1. theblackhand

Re: Linux? Re:Steven R

You do realise that saying product X is good makes product Y slower, less capable and crap on your doorstep when you're not looking?

After reading too many reviews about a certain phone, my now inferior phone even went so far as not caring if I was looking when it defecated on my doorstep.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Linux? Re:Steven R

theblackhand - I'm not even sure what you're talking about, frankly.

I was just curious if anyone had any luck throwing a Linux distro on these devices - I rarely dabble in Windows these days so it's not as relevant to me as it used to be. Linux is a better fit for me, but I'm well aware it's not for everyone.

Steven R

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Does anyone over 12 years old use the upvote/downvote buttons?

If there was a profile settings option on this website to switch them off and make them invisible I would use it.

I invite anyone to click the down arrow here, I really won't even know or care. Why would anyone?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Yes, I'm 33 and I use upvote downvote buttons, especially downvote when you just really cannot be bothered to engage in someone's utterly mindless garbage post. And upvote, well that's just a quick expression of solidarity and agreement with your comment. Simple. And don't pretend you don't like the upvotes either cos thousands wouldn't believe you.

"And don't pretend you don't like the upvotes either cos thousands wouldn't believe you."

Give me an option to switch them all off (like some other forums have) and I'll do it. I'm sure it's fun for the kids to click a little thumb image but nobody with full mental faculties would take it in any way seriously.

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"Does anyone over 12 years old use the upvote/downvote buttons?"

Down voted 'cause I is down wid de kidz, innit? LOLZ!!!

(40 year old trying too hard...)

3. PNGuinn
              Trollface

OK - if it really msakes you happy ...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Why Linux people are always in search of something cheap? Are they paid so little?

Also, are you sure you're able to use your average distro and especially your beloved shell without a keyboard?

Where are the cheap Linux tablets? Canonical can't made one?

"Why Linux people are always in search of something cheap?"

Are you telling me you'd rather risk bricking something expensive?

Could you lend me some of the folding currency you wipe your bum on please? I obviously have a much greater need for it than you do!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Devil

Does Linux brick things? And if you're a real "Linux hacker" you shouldn't be afraid of bricking things - and installing an OS in a supported way anyway it's not something that should "brick things". Or are you going to hack the BIOS and maybe its SecureBoot chain to install Linux? Or would you just give up as soon as it doesn't recognize your USB boot device and the Linux installer doesn't start? Usually Win 8.x devices let you create a recovery disk to restore a device.

But if I were an hardcore Linux fan I would risk to brick something more expensive, I mean, at least some $200-$500 device, not a $1500 one maybe, attempting to install it... otherwise you just make Linux look something for people who can't afford an OS nor the device to run it on...

I would also write the driver for the touch screen, of course, and donate it to the community.... don't tell me you just USE Linux and don't contribute to it, do you????

Yes I do use Linux, occasionally, I don't contribute to it, I don't code. But surely you want people to use Linux, otherwise what's the point?

As for bricking things, it's not really just that is it. Linux people love to demonstrate how powerful Linux is on small less powerful devices. Which is fantastic.

Also, what's wrong with Linux being used by people who can't afford an OS? Or the powerful device? Again, surely a good thing and the kind of thing that makes Linux Devs feel warm and fuzzy inside? The fact it is free has opened computing to many who can't afford it or the devices.

I don't see why you feel you have to prove how wealthy you are or why you are trying to disassociate Linux from those less less fortunate than you. But good on you for contributing anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"good on you for contributing anyway."

Same from me too.

"I do use Linux, I don't contribute to it, "

Again, same from me (mostly).

"I don't code."

Irrelevant. If people genuinely want to help, there are plenty of other ways they can contribute. E.g. Take a beta test and feed back. Help reproduce (or otherwise) hardware-specific problems if you have the relevant hardware. Help translate stuff if you speak the relevant languages. Moderate a user forum. And so on.

If you have time and inclination, have a read of https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:How_to_participate and see if anything appeals. I presume there are similar opportunities with some of the other flavours (there used to be, back in the days when the best way of getting a Linux was on a cover CD).

I haven't been able to contribute much so far, but for reasons of time rather than inclination. That may change later this year when my current job comes to an end, And then I may have a little more free time, till the green shoots of recovery appear again.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like