back to article NBN's basement-dive begins in earnest

NBN Co, the entity building Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN) has started identifying which apartment blocks are to get its fibre-to-the-basement (FTTB) rollout, with 43 blocks totalling 6,000 premises on the current plan. Around 2,000 of the premises in Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney (the latter receiving the bulk …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't NBN have to offer the same wholesale prices to TPG?

see above...

1. Medixstiff

Re: Won't NBN have to offer the same wholesale prices to TPG?

The main reason TPG had to pause their FTTB roll out is because the government mandated that they need to structurally separate but only gave them until January 1 to do so.

2. Medixstiff

Of course WA and SA lose out, as usual.

1. Lyle Dietz

and Queensland.

I'm actually more than a little annoyed that I get 5Mb/s at home living in Brisbane, and I'm hard pressed to saturate it, and yet my mother lives in the country and gets 9Mb/s and I can fully saturate her link easily.

I'm fairly confident that I live closer to my exchange than she does to hers.

3. robjcamb

I *may* live in one the Brunswick MDUs referred to. It's notable by it's island-like lack of NBN in this area of coverage. What I can't find is a list of which unit blocks they're actually talking about.

The building developers back in 2010 did have the foresight to run cat5e from the basement to each unit, even if they did go and spoil it by dasiychaining each of the 4 wall sockets. Cue facepalm.

So the plan is to install VDSL DSLAM plant in the comms cupboard and and sell me another modem rather than fix the wiring and run lo-fi 1990's old-tech gigabit ethernet over it? Sounds future proof.

I appreciate the cheapskate wiring job does necessitate a conservative approach, but then again, a one-size-fits-all approach to retrofitting MDUs is just asking for trouble.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like