back to article Mt Gox Bitcoin baron: I was NOT Silk Road boss Dread Pirate Roberts

Mark Karpeles, the boss of collapsed Bitcoin exchange Mt Gox, has denied he is, or was, Dread Pirate Roberts – the anonymous mastermind of the online drugs bazaar Silk Road. The surprise allegation, that Karpeles operated the illegal website, surfaced during the ongoing trial of Ross Ulbricht – who is charged with running Silk …

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Pirate

Sir

"This is probably going to be disappointing for you, but I am not and have never been [the real] Dread Pirate Roberts"

But every day when I go to bed I get told that I will most likely be killed in the morning. That's been the case for the last 4 years and 364 days.

2. Ole Juul
    Coat

Smith

I wonder if DPR is related to AC. There seems to be an awful lot of them.

1. Afernie

Re: Smith

In the case of DPR. at least three fictional ones and an indeterminate number of non-fictional ones, some of whom may, or may not be living like kings in Patagonia.

1. Vector

Yeah, all these law enforcement types should probably go watch Princess Bride before proceeding with their investigations into the "one true" DPR.

1. Afernie

Indeed. This would give them the head start they need to deduce that the current DPR is one I. Montoya.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No im DPR and so is my wife, said in jest. AC.

3. Anonymous Coward 101

Kapeles is widely suspected of being behind the 'hack' of bitcoins at MtGox, aside from this allegation. It will be fucking hilarious if he turns out to be Keyser Soze. It would be too crazy to be fiction.

4. TakeTheSkyRoad

Half the story here

"Ulbricht, 30, of San Francisco, says he created the Silk Road website, but denies any wrongdoing. He was arrested in October 2013, and has been held without bail since. His lawyers say he was framed."

The missing detail is that he claims to have handed over control of the site to someone else who then push the drugs angle big time before handing it back once the Feds started to close in. It is on this basis that he claims to be framed and this is his defence against many of the charges.

This would also help with the murder for hire charges too if this court accept that they can't prove he control the Silk Road and the DPR account at that time.

1. Tom 13

Re: Half the story here

Not buying it. Even if you accept the story about him being out of the loop in the middle, he's still an accessory to murder after the fact.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Half the story here

"he's still an accessory to murder after the fact."

Did you mean 'conspiracy to murder' - I don't think anyone died did they?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Magic

The gathering :- Online

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You killed my father

Prepare to die.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Neoc

Pet Peeve

It's not "Mt Gox", it's "MtGOX". The original website was for the swapping of CCG items: "Magic the Gathering Online eXchange".

It's like those damn address systems that keep on insisting that "Macedon" is "MacEdon".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blimey

> Joshua Dratel, a defense lawyer for Ulbricht – who is on trial for four narcotics charges, and one charge each of computer hacking, trafficking in fraudulent documents, and money laundering conspiracy.

That's one fast-living lawyer, that is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like