back to article It's 2015 and home routers still leave their config web servers wide open

Broadband routers from ADB Pirelli – used by Movistar in Spain and an ISP in Argentina – are vulnerable to at least two nasty security weaknesses, it's claimed. The ADB Pirelli ADSL2/2+ Wireless Routers can be trivially controlled remotely from across the internet, allowing someone to surreptitiously monitor or disrupt home …

1. regadpellagru

They don't care

"Novella discovered the first problem in April 2013 and the second in September. He has notified the ISPs and hardware vendor, but says he has yet to hear back, prompting his decision to go public last week.

"Neither Movistar nor Pirelli answered my attempts for fixing the problems," said Novella. "Only Arnet Telecom Argentina replied the first email. After I explained the vulnerability, they disappeared and never got a message back."

El Reg asked ADB Pirelli for comment on the reported vulnerabilities last week, and received no response. We'll update this story as and when we hear more. "

Frankly, El Reg shouldn't hold its breath, as Novella has apparently aited for one and a half year, for no answer :-)

This gives credit to Google blackmailing strategy (3 months, then go public) towards Microsoft.

Simply, to any SW vendor, security is customer's problem. They don't care.

1. pakman

Re: They don't care

"This gives credit to Google blackmailing strategy (3 months, then go public) towards Microsoft."

Except that Microsoft didn't ignore Google. Google didn't accept Microsoft's timetable for fixing the problem, even though AFAIK Microsoft has no contractual obligation to Google over how long they should take to resolve issues like this. I don't think that the two situations can be compared.

Having said that, I agree with what you say about organisations like Movistar/Pirelli/Arnet Telecom, and that this vulnerability needed to be made public after having been left to languish for so long.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like