As time goes by .. the true tale of an elderly

This topic was created by FuzzyTheBear .

1. FuzzyTheBear

As time goes by .. the true tale of an elderly

I am not sure this is the right venue , or category , but the story is actual , it's factual and it is the tragedy lived a thousand times that need be told to warn the community to step up their vigilance.

Dad is 86 . A sturdy chap that made communications , data communications and it's advancement his life. Retired about 25 years ago and always been using a computer since the z80 . His computers have always been protected as much as he could. AV and firewalls etc .. He used his machine to make texgs , write , make spreadsheets of his finances , adresses , finance info the whole lot .

4 days ago .. A guy called saying he was a MS tech support representative and that he was mandated to cal customers and fix their machines for a security hole that needed be adressed.

OFC MS don't call people. You know it .. i know it ..

He gave the thief/scammer/bas&&&& the information to use the remote desktop and for a hour and a half the guy at the other end had all the time in the world to steal all his financials that were linked on the desktop for easy access . Income tax reports , spreadsheets , cc's etc .. he had put all on the machine trusting it .. and never suspecting any foul play.

His CC company had a strange charge on the CC .. 1000 dollar purchase in a foreign country .

He called me .. told me about the CC company call and i went to his place pedal to the metal ( or close ) to see what was going on .. He told me .. minutes before that call that he was with a MS tech support guy and that he had been " workign " his computer for an hour and a half.

TightVNC was still on .. i yanked the power to the DSL modem .. Rest is an horror story of him trying to block CC's , change cards numbers , SIN's credit rating agencies etc etc , since identity theft was easy with all the income tax info available to the theif and him falliung in despair as how gullible he had become. It was a truly sad scene . See a man of his stature and intelligence fall for such a scam. The hurt is one that does not go away. He realised what impact alzheimers was having on him.

What did i set out to accomplish by writing this tale of caution ?

For one , i wish to make people aware that the scammers are very active and that this scam has terrible implications for it's victims . ATM Quebec is getting these calls regularly. They target everyone . They had called my place a few weeks before and i simply hung up telling him he was a scammer .

Secondly , that as our parents get older that they get more and more vulnerable and that they need our help , our support and certainly that their machines need to be even more protected from scam artists. If you can't help the man , help the machine he relies on.

TightVNC " Remote Assistant " is such a danger . I do not know to what extent that can be removed from Win7 , I haven't had time to investigate further yet, but certainly ill have the ports blocked when i'm done rebuilding his machine and if i can ill delete the exe file.

Ladies , Gentlemen , readers of the Reg , i hope this cautionary tale helps you help your parents and the elderly be kept safe . Find ways , for they need protection not from the machine , but themselves as their minds slowly sink into darkness .

Your's truly

Richard Hebert aka FuzzyTheBear

2. nipsy

My dad had one of these calls, he told them he didnt know much about computers and told them to ring me.

Thanks dad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon