back to article You're late, Falcon 9: Look what you've done to NASA’s DSCOVR launch!

The delay of the SpaceX Falcon launch - slated for December 2014 - has had a knock-on impact on another NASA mission, with the agency announcing that its DSCOVR blast-off will have to wait until after 29 January. A joint NASA/NOAA project, DSCOVR (the Deep Space Climate Observatory) will provide real-time solar wind monitoring …

1. Tim Jenkins

"...this will provide between 15 and 60 minutes warning before the particles reach us..."

Which is time to do what, exactly; don pointy tinfoil hats?

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: between 15 and 60 minutes warning ... to do what, exactly?

Perhaps to keep the electrical power grid operational?

1. Tim Jenkins

Well, yes, but what I'm intrigued by is HOW? It seems like rather short notice to shield all those transformers, particularly after having to fill out the 'working at heights' Risk Assessment form for each pole...

1. Paul Kinsler

Presumably change network topology, connectedness, or similar? I'm sure I've read something about it but can't remember where. In the meantime, you might read this related article ...

http://arxiv.org/abs/1406.7024

"Assessing the impact of space weather on the electric power grid based on insurance claims for industrial electrical equipment"

Schrijver et al.

2. cray74

Don't solar flares cause trouble via long power lines rather than directly acting on transformers? If so, wouldn't existing lightning arresters offer some protection?

2. Mark 85

Re: "...this will provide between 15 and 60 minutes warning before the particles reach us..."

Maybe to hit the power "off" switch and shut down the grid... oh wait. That will take down FB and then there will be: "a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

1. Fatman

Re: "...this will provide between 15 and 60 minutes warning before the particles reach us..."

Maybe to hit the power "off" switch and shut down the grid... oh wait. That will take down FB and then there will be: "a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Nope, but office worker productivity might spike for a while!

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

What is always done when advanced warning of a major increase in solar radiation flux is about to occur.

Shut down sensitive electronics on satellites and energy grid providers watch for geomagnetic storms that could trip major sections of the power grid.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like