back to article *HIC*... tweet: Sloshed birdsh shlur songs, boffins say

Pissed birds' songs become slurred in a similar way to that of humans' speech after a night on the sauce. That's the conclusion from brain boffins who studied zebra finches to try to get a better handle on the effects of alcohol on cognitive function. Little is apparently known about booze-related garbled speech. Researchers …

1. Swarthy
    Unhappy

This is the kind of research the world needs.

Tho sadly, when reading about drunken birds in a British publication, I was not expecting to read about finches.

1. Steve Foster
      Joke

Re: This is the kind of research the world needs.

Presumably, you were expecting (hoping for?) a story about tits...

2. auburnman

Re: This is the kind of research the world needs.

Yeah, Reg missed the chance for a headline of

"Scientists get birds PISSED at work: 'It's our job, honestly' cry boffins"

3. harmjschoonhoven
      Pint

Re: drunken birds in a British publication

Christopher R. Olson (Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health & Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road L470, Portland, Oregon, UNITED STATES of AMERICA 97239-3098) et al. wrote in their publication:

"In the presence of females, male zebra finches reliably produce female-directed song as part of their courtship behavior. ... The study design assigned adult male finches to alcohol or control drinking treatments."

and more interesting for our British readers:

"Body mass ... remained constant across phases for the birds that were provided alcohol.".

2. bill 27
    Pint

Oh piddle.

Yeah but...can they sing off-key three-part harmony?

3. frank ly

Correct experimental protocol

Did the researchers send a tweet the next morning to find out if the finches were alright?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An early candidate for an IgNobel.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Thumb Up

IgNobel

Scientists studied zebra finches because they were considered "a representative songbird and a premier model for understanding the neurobiology of vocal production and learning".

Translating from Boffinish, "We used zebra finches because we had some on hand." It's a well studied species, same as the fruit fly, rats and mice. I feel compelled to give them a thumbs up, though, for the timing of the publication. Happy New Year!

5. Scroticus Canis
    Unhappy

Singing with "decreased amplitude" - accurate model?

Well one obvious difference between avian and human drunks then. So how accurate a model can these poor abused finches be for human drunks?

6. Mark 85
    Pint

Department of the Obvious?

I have to wonder why they even bothered except to get a grant (tax dollars probably). Anyone who's ever gotten sloshed or had a pet lapped some up knows this: alcohol interferes with both cognitive and motor functions. Otherwise, we wouldn't fall down or know that all women are beautiful at closing time.

Since we don't have an icon for beer goggles, this one will have to work ---->

1. SkippyBing

Re: Department of the Obvious?

Well if people didn't research the obvious we'd never know when we were wrong. Like Rutherford firing alpha particles at gold, the result was obvious right up until the point it wasn't.

(There are better examples but I'm drinking)

7. Tim Roberts 1

but ....

.....my singing improves with increased alcohol intake - from what I've heard ..

1. Mark 85

Re: but ....

Same with my dancing..... not sure about the singing part though since it may be the listeners were also hammered.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon