back to article 2014 AD: A year in storage. STILL not enough nails for the disk coffin lid

Spending some of the festive season in San Francisco has given me a chance to look back at the wonderful world of storage and to ponder which may have been the biggest overall storage stories over the past twelve months or so. Here's what I think are the strongest contenders: Splintering of SAN/NAS Cloud storage in public …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly SSD capacity rise and foundry limitations

Flash has already changed people's lives - even the lives of those involved in technology - far more than any of the other stuff you listed.

When we look back at 2014 in 10 years, do you really think the thing people will remember is "that's the year when hyperconverged buzzword server SAN object storage buzzword changed everything?" Or "that's the year when I realized hard drives weren't going to be a niche in the future, but would disappear entirely".

2. Badger Murphy
    Unhappy

Disappearing hard drives

I hope you are referring to their replacement with flash disks, and not cloud storage. I already have only tenuous ownership of my software; just wait until none of it is even actually in my possession!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like