back to article Vodafone poised to ink chumship pact with T-Mobile and get back into US enterprise

Vodafone is poised to piggyback on T-Mobile US's network to get back into the American business market. The MVNO deal is aimed at offering US enterprises global coverage from Voda: the mobile telco has about 400 America-based multinationals as customers, and 500 companies headquartered outside the States but which have a large …

1. thomas k.

M2M services?

Sign me up!

Oh, wait, that probably doesn't mean what I think it does.

Guess I'll stick with AT&T.

1. IglooDude

Re: M2M services?

I'm not sure what you think it means, but unless you're Captain Cyborg, then it's probably not for you.

2. roger stillick
    Meh

In The USA, Anyone Can Do This...

Here in the USA, the major mobile carriers are permitted by a 2 yo law that allows formation of private mobile networks... buy a block of service up front and pay for it up front= you are golden...gertting your customers to pay for your PMN service is your problem (most offer pre-pay burner fones)... your money problem makes no additional blocks of service a likely event ( you are 1 payday from end of network each lease interval).

IMHO= if Vodaphone wants to join thousands of others who have done this... welcome aboard to a prepaid enhancement of the bottom line of our Mobile Network Barons, they welcome free money...RS.

3. Kev99 Silver badge

Vodaphone experience

When we lived in Mwanza Tanzania, Vodaphone was one of multiple providers of cell phones. (We used Zain because of friends recommendations.) One thing Voda did well was internet access via a USB dongle. The dongle would automatically switch to whatever service had the best signal. I think there were three it used. You didn't notice the swapping and the speeds were DSL or better. IF their business service is anything like their internet dongle service, then they should have no problems getting 500 customers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think you've missed the point here. Vodafone are not interested in setting up an mvno with T-Mobile to gain customers. They are doing it so their big UK and European customers that have a large US presence can save money (or at least save Vodafone money) as rather than using their European mobiles roaming onto someone else's network in America they can roam on to their own (mvno) while there.

5. Beech Horn

Vodafone UK in the US

When I last went to the states with a Vodafone UK SIM in the iPad they wanted to charge £25 for 100MB PER DAY with no roll over. Verizon wouldn't touch the iPad (apparently it was AT&T only despite being bought in the UK?!?) and ended up getting an AT&T SIM card for $30 with 2GB of data for the stay. £25 for 100MB a day is just not viable, but then again T-Mobile coverage in the states is also not viable so they'll need to go back to the drawing board.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like