back to article Horton Hears an IPO: Hard work for Hadoop

Hadoop is hot. That’s not in question. What is in question, however, is what it’s hot for, and whether it can move beyond Silicon Valley geeks to mainstream enterprises. With Hortonworks filing to IPO and Cloudera reportedly doing more than $100m in sales, it’s tempting to think that Hadoop has already gone mainstream. The …

1. Alistair
    Linux

Hadoop.

It ain't rocket science, its just confusing.

I take it I'm a propeller head now. Thanks Matt.

(Penguin, since ours is on linux)

2. Ian Michael Gumby

Hadoop isn't confusing.

It just breaks all the rules that companies set up.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Hadoop isn't confusing.

I admit I haven't used Hadoop myself, but I've read some of the articles, and it looks pretty damn simple. Particularly when you throw add-ons like Apache Pig into the mix.

Certainly at first glance it looks simpler than, say, UIMA, and it took less than a day's fiddling for me to get that running unstructured data through models.

I suspect the real problem - and here I am, mirabile dictu, agreeing with Matt - is that most organizations don't have any clear idea of what they want with it. I vaguely follow various data-scientist types on LinkedIn, and read some of the studies and whatnot in the area, and certainly it seems that "big data" types are often given jobs no more detailed than "I want a dashboard that shows me what interesting things are happening in our data".

(And that's why software like Tableau has so many fans - if you're just being asked to do some filtering and visualization, it'll get the job done in a jiff.)

3. TwoWolves

Horton isn't Hadoop

from an IPO perspective Horton isn't Hadoop. Anyone can come along and eat their lunch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like