back to article Cryptocurrency cruncher cranks prime number constellation

Bitcoin mining, our own Simon Rockman wrote last January, “is essentially a brute-force attack on the generating algorithm”. “Bitcoin, and all the other alt-coins, is training a skillset for building password-cracking hardware that is both powerful and portable,” he wrote. It looks like cryptocurrencies are also helping to …

1. auburnman
    Black Helicopters

If bitcoin mining is basically a distributed brute force attack, how long until the NSA come up with a system that rewards cryptocurrency in exchange for throwing your PC muscle behind cracking 'communications of interest'?

1. psychonaut

seti @ home

can you imagine??!!

an fbi screensaver (seti@home flavoured) that actively tries to crack other peoples (or possibly your own) encrypted files?

i wonder what you would get as a reward...maybe some get out of jail free cards or a plea bargain for every block decoded.

1. Mark 85

Re: seti @ home

How do we know that they already don't do this when you've gone to bed or work and left the computer on? NSA, etc. is already watching us and can supposedly get into any computer they want.

I'll get me hat, it's the one made of tinfoil.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Your power bill is how.

1. psychonaut

not if every cpu has actually been compromised - maybe theres a bit of grunt reserved only for five eyes tasks on every machine on the planet.

oh god how deep does the rabbit hole go?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

Explain to me exactly how the NSA is changing the readout on this in real time to match their usage?

2. FartingHippo

Riemann Hypothesis

A solution would be HUGELY disruptive to security.

If I remember correctly, the solution allows any NP problem to be mapped to a P problem. (or allows it to be proved that it's impossible for any NP to map to P). The NSA would pay north of a billion for a solution that implied the former, I'm sure. As long as it was undisclosed to anyone else, natch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Riemann Hypothesis

Sponsored by Setec Astronomy?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Setec Astronomy

I liked Sneakers too.

2. Bloakey1

True. It would allow for much more accurate pattern analysis style attacks.

3. Why not OTP?

No, that's the P vs NP problem, which is about whether there exist polynomial-time solutions to problems such as the travelling salesman. The Riemann Hypothesis is about the distribution of zeroes of the Riemann Zeta function, which is intimately linked to the distribution of primes. Virtually everyone believes that P and NP are distinct, and that the RH is true, but solving one of them has really nothing to do with solving the other. Proving P=NP (which most people in the field think is unlikely) *might* help improve factorization, which has implications for cryptography, but that wouldn't help with RH. Likewise, proving RH (which virtually every mathematician believes is true) is unlikely to have any impact on P vs NP.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Proving P=NP (which most people in the field think is unlikely) *might* help improve factorization, which has implications for cryptography,

More precisely, proving P=NP proves there are no trapdoor functions - that is, that there are no functions for which verifying a result is significantly easier than computing that result. (That's pretty much the definition of NP: it's the class of problems that have worse-than-polynomial time but can be checked in polynomial time.)

Such a proof would invalidate all asymmetric-cryptography systems, since they're based on asymmetric work factors, and for similar reasons invalidate the basis for all cryptocurrencies. If the proof were by construction, or otherwise showed a practical solution to a general NP problem in feasible P time (i.e., the polynomial had reasonable exponents), then asymmetric cryptography and crypocurrencies would be immediately broken in practice, since converting one NP problem to another in P time is always possible and often straightforward.

So, yeah, some implications for cryptography. Fortunately it looks very unlikely that P=NP.

but that wouldn't help with RH.

Agreed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like