back to article Do you spend ages wasting time because of a bulging rack?

Behold GRAEF-USA's mostly empty rack; latency sucks, and getting files from the cloud generally means multiple round trip delays if large files are needed in remote offices and shared by project teams. But Panzura says it has cloud storage gateway tech that solves this problem and cites GRAEF-USA and a 2-site, $250K saving as …

1. Yugguy

Empty space? See the empty desk

Where the 4 on-site IT bods used to sit.

Except now they only need 3.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Empty space? See the empty desk

If you don't keep your skills current and deliver improvements to the business, then your surplus to requirement. That person who managed the old storage is probably out the door, but I bet the person who found the shiny is in for a promotion and bonus!

This is no different to the 1980's when everybody in the car industry thought they were going to lose their to robots.. which never materialised. But those who evolved and accepted the change ended up thriving..

For anybody stuck in this position, I highly recommend reading this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Moved-My-Cheese-Amazing/dp/0091816971

1. Suricou Raven

Turns out chinese peasants are even cheaper than robots.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Try this one, far less patronising and more reflective of the real world office

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Cut-The-Cheese-A-Mazing/dp/1453797750

1. Not That Andrew

Or "I Moved Your Cheese" (the Darrel Bristow-Bovey book, not the many others by the same name)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moved-Your-Cheese-Darrel-Bristow-Bovey/dp/1843301652/

A better self help book than "Who Moved My Cheese" (not difficult) and actually rather funny, unlike the second AC's suggestion.

3. Yugguy

No, it;s NOTHING to do with skills -it's to do with the fact that the job you did is now done at an outsourced data centre by someone else.

2. K

Saved £250k ..

But spanked £300k on the new array!

1. cd

Re: Saved £250k ..

And lost their nice trombones.

3. KroSha
    Stop

Is there actually any comment in this Comment article? It reads more like a press release or white paper.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The cheerleading? I usually don't like this kind of press-release -> article but it's about time somebody brought MDM to engineering without adding a huge bill. I'm just sad I missed jumping that niche myself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like