back to article Dawn raids on Orange over TROMBONING allegations were fine, rules EU court

The European Commission was perfectly entitled to conduct dawn raids against Orange, according to the EU General Court. The inspections took place between 9 and 13 July 2013 on four of Orange’s premises as part of an investigation into allegations that Orange was abusing a dominant market position. However, Orange cried foul …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tromboning?

Sounds like Orange needs to kiss some ass.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tromboning?

No need - all the evidence was tainted.

2. Cliff

Re: Tromboning?

Only the reg can make a pretty dull event seem exiting and smutty all at once - congratulations!

2. frank ly

The first result on Google Images is instructive

What is 'safe search' anyway?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've just built one of these!

Didn't know it had a name. It's bloody stupid but that's what the customer wants. Our's has lots of lovely VPNs with a large number of Phase 2s and L2 bridging of VLANs across t'internet all wrapped up snugly in a tunnel.

Works surprisingly well but thankfully is only temporary for a DC move. It feels like maaagiic, I just don't look too closely or the stretched L2 VLAN might snap.

Mmmm trombone, with a french horn on the side.

Cheers

Jon

4. llaryllama

I must be getting old

I always understood tromboning in a telecoms context to mean bypassing a national interconnect fee by routing calls through an international country.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

French court exonerating Orange, color me surprized

Yeah, and the sun surprisingly will arise in the East and set in the West.

DPI on wholesale level is completely against the idea of competitive retail on top of regulated wholesale. Not that other SPs have not tried to get that one done. If memory serves me right BT had similar aspirations a while back and so have a few other usual suspects.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In France

the perceived wisdom is that, if it is French, it MUST be good.

How else could Renault cars or Atomic skis still be in business.

7. cortland

So it was

A trombone -- but they let it "slide".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We Had the same problem here with ODA

The point of the article is surely that, despite evidence, the EU found that the EU did not do anything wrong.

We had instances of this with the ODA who flouted the laws of the land in their haste to deliver the Olympics and every time an issue was raised with the correct Government department concerning the legality of the ODA actions , the answer was on the lines of "The ODA say they are right and they are the final authority".

More and more of this type of thing will come from the EU as legally now, thanks to recent governments, the EU overrule local laws,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like