back to article Apple expands mobile device management program beyond USA

Apple has extended the reach of its Device Enrollment Program (DEP) beyond the USA and beyond end-users. Apple says [PDF] the DEP “ simplifies initial setup by automating mobile device management (MDM) enrollment and supervision of devices during setup and enabling you to configure the devices without touching them.” “Upon …

1. P. Lee

> [Apple] just made its wares more attractive to lots more businesses.

... and a whole lot less desirable to individuals.

So if they aren't BYOD, the question is, apart from being exec toys, are they cost-saving or productivity enhancing?

My guess is neither. The vast majority of people still need a PC.

1. James 51

Re: > [Apple] just made its wares more attractive to lots more businesses.

Was talking to someone who was supporting the sales people from another company. He said that every time a new iphone or ipad came out this person had to have the latest model with the biggest capicity. Not because they needed any new features but so that person could impress other sales people by whipping it out at lunches. They had a mac too for being on the road but in the office there was a desktop PC sitting there.

1. Ted Treen

I got rid of my desktop PC, and switched to installing VMWare Fusion on my (two monitor) desktop Mac.

More space (room) on my desk, and VMWare is a damn sight faster than the entry-level Dell that IT seem to affict us all with.

Haven't looked back since.

1. James 51

Sounds like you're issue was with an under-specced PC rather than any inherient advantage of the Mac platform. Still it's nice you got something which works for you.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

I got rid of my desktop PC and switched to installing VirtualBox on my (water cooled, 32GB, two monitor) desktop Debian machine.

More space (room) on my desk, and VirtualBox is a damn sight faster than the entry-level Dell that IT seem to affict us all with.

Haven't looked back since.

(and the scary part: it's not a joke - it's true. I still have the crap Dell boxed up for IT to take back)

2. DaneB
    Megaphone

Same old

Writing this on a 6 year-old MacBook Pro that still whizz's along and with a battery that still holds charge. Got a PC laptop that'll make it that far without being rebuilt at least twice?

There's always been a lot more to tech than processor speeds, and most people just want the damn things to work which is where - most of the time - Apple wins.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like