back to article Structural storage industry changes green light Cisco

Structural changes in IT and storage technology are green lighting opportunities for Cisco as it has no legacy storage products holding it back and server-led storage opportunities are growing and growing. William Blair analyst Jason Ader has issued a note called "Day of Reckoning for IT Infrastructure Is Near" which talks of …

1. James Dore

Random Word Headline Makes No Sense

Which illiterate came up with the headline for this article? I have no idea what it means.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cisco - fewer headwinds?

The only way from the top is downwards.

With the pressure on Cisco from Dell, Arista and other merchant silicon networking companies, the pressure from software-defined networking vs Cisco's hardware-defined, the pressure from VMware/NSX, it's going to be a real struggle for them to maintain their market share AND their traditionally high margins.

Nexus is just a rehash of the Catalyst 3-tier model, when the world is moving to a 2-tier structure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cisco - fewer headwinds?

All true, I can't see how their gross margin won't fall over the next few years. Additionally a big chunk of the UCS server revenue is driven by VCE so they have to play semi-nice with EMC and existing vBlock customers. That said their financial engineering is good for the moment, so they're still on my 'hold' list.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like