back to article HPC ace grills vendor over virtual desktop flavours: What about the POWER USERS?

The idea that you can run a bunch of user desktop sessions on servers isn’t new. The benefits promised by desktop virtualisation are pretty profound, including large reductions in enterprise tech costs, better support for users, improved security and even increased user happiness. That last promise, the increased user …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Back to the walled garden

Power users routinely crashed their VM desktop every place I've worked.

The biggest problem I see over and over again with VM is the gross underestimation of virtual space required, causing crashes for weeks on end until more space is given.

The second biggest problem I see is non-continuity of users' desktops. Every user has a different way of working with, and being productive on, their PC. I've seen plenty of VM DTs that couldn't even connect back to the user's server drive, let alone bring up the folder they had on their desktop that contains the big project they are working. THAT should not be a problem.

Sure, some of those problems are the fault of the admin, but how did I save money if I have to hire a dedicated admin just for that?

Then there's the whole walled garden aspect which has proven time and time again to be a very bad idea. When the VM server goes down, so does every user on that server. When a single desktop PC goes down, the rest of the group can still keep working. In computer world, cell type systems are ALWAYS superior to command and control system.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the whole idea and reason for the popularity of the PC was being able to break the chains of the mainframe prison.

If you are having security problems, that's an admin and policy problem. As for making it easier to fix, oh hell no! Most VM admin controls are a nightmare designed by Dilbert's boss! I can just as easily remote into any desktop as long it can connect. If it can't, it gets swapped out with pronto overnight delivery and the problem unit gets fixed on the bench.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like