back to article Got a STRAP-ON? Remember to TAKE IT OFF at WORK

As soon as I arrive at a client’s office, I take everything off. The scratchy, suffocating feeling produced simply by wearing stuff drives me to distraction, so whenever I get the chance, off it comes. Oh to feel the air on my skin... My clothes, you will be relieved to learn, remain distributed in rough approximation of …

Page:

1. frank ly

re. Rampant Rabbi, etc.

I didn't believe you, until I looked at the website. Now, I don't believe the website. (No, I'm not going to order one to find out.)

1. king of foo

Re: re. Rampant Rabbi, etc.

I now know where I'm buying ALL my Christmas presents!

1. VeganVegan

Mr. Foo and Mr. Dabbs must be wallowing in cash.

Those "pieces" at Masterpieces go for hundreds of pounds a piece.

For that kind of money, I would not only expect them to tell time, have a NTP receiver, but also to play Angry Birds!

1. Alistair Dabbs

I think a Rampant Rabbi ensures you don't have any angry birds. Ahem.

2. Arctic fox
      Happy

I don't know what you think but I think that Alastair could have rephrased this.......

......"At least, no one will ask you to come again."

In the context.....hmm?

3. Suricou Raven

There are quite a few companies specializing in novelty sex toys. The 'I Love My Ducky' range and anything from Bad Dragon come to mind.

1. Danny 14

playmobil reconstruction?

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Try looking at the real world ...

Unfortunately, I am really good at breaking watches. My personal record is under an hour. After that event, I tried a new trick: looking at walls. Lots of rooms have clocks in - many of them even show a similar time. With a little practice, looking at a clock when you walk past it becomes automatic. The next trick is remembering what time you saw on a clock two minutes ago. Very few shops have clocks in (you might realise you are late and stop buying things). Lots of shops print the time on receipts. If you are feeling brave, you could try information point at a bus station. Judging by the BSODs, these run Windows, and judging by the time they give, they do not have an NTP client installed.

Anyway, all the problems associated with wearable tech can be fixed with a Google/Facebook/Twitter/Whatever wall mounted clock. Now that it is attached to the wall, it can be plugged in, and does not need batteries and recharging. Free/unsecured wifi is all over the place, so such a clock should always be able to show the right time. Add a camera, and Google/Facebook should be able to work out who is looking at it and display an inappropriate advert - especially if they did a web search for strap-ons as research for their weekend article.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Try looking at the real world ...

I also used to break my watches easily. Everything changed when I bought a G-Shock. It is still working 3 years on.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Go

Re: Aliatair Dabbs Re: Try looking at the real world ...

"I also used to break my watches easily....." I'm sure it's a techie thing. I always have two watches - my 'dress' watch, which is for use when suited-and-booted in the office and when out and about with SWMBO, and my 'work' watch which is for crawling around under the cars, swimming, training and poking around in cabling cabinets and racks. The 'dress' watch is usually a gift from SWMBO, which means it is slim and 'presentable' and therefore has no protection for the glass, meaning I manage to break them about once a year. The 'work' watch is always a G-Shock and always outlives the 'dress' ones despite the G-Shock regularly takes a beating. My best G-Shock lasted five-and-a-half years.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Aliatair Dabbs Try looking at the real world ...

This would work except that I destroy watches in all situations. The most common are knocking it against doorknobs and smashing/scraping it against brick walls. Why I seem to hang around doors and brick walls with arms flailing is beyond me. Perhaps I should live in a Japanese house like Larry or get my house refurbed by a Trekkie.

1. Pookietoo

Re: I destroy watches in all situations

Try wearing it on the inside of your wrist?

1. Danny 14

Re: I destroy watches in all situations

I too used to kill watches, wearing them inside just plain annoyed me so these days I just don't bother. I always have some kind of jacket, coat, fleece, bag, child to carry things with me (over and above usual daily "stuff") so I just take a phone with a pocketed case these days. It fits in my pocket, it has a single contactless debit card in it, it has my driving licence and work ID - that is it. I don't have any other jewellery. My keys are a car key with small RFID token (for work) and 2 door keys on a small ring - they sit in my pocket better in 2 sets than all 4 together.

The watch that lasted the longest for me was a lorus with lumibrite face (the wife HATED this thing as it did glow somewhat at night for a surprisingly long time). The strap was swapped for a fabric strap and eventually the side of the watch was smashed on something putting it out of action.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

"Three years on..."

Four-year-old granddaughter managed somehow to crack the glass of my daily watch last weekend; it's five years old or so, so time for a new glass.

The watch I'm using to replace it for now is sixty years old and winds itself up as I move around. Three or four times a year I have to reset it. The 'date' function has given up; probably time it had a service...

There's something I find immediately attractive about a mechanical watch - it's probably the most robust bit of technology we make, expected to work, accurately, for decades. (Note - it must just tell the time, here, now; no complications.) Yes, quartz crystals are more accurate (if you keep them at the temperature they like) but, meh, electronics are the day job. They have no soul.

3. Number6

I used to average two years between breakages. Then I got a cheap Casio plastic watch and that's still working thirty year later, at least if I remember to replace the battery. I'm currently wearing a Pebble watch (a gift) after not bothering with a watch at all (having failed to replace the battery in the Casio).

I seem to have a reasonable inbuilt time sense, usually good to within fifteen minutes, so I never needed to consult the phone unless I really needed to be sure of the time.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Mushroom

My £10 Casio with fabric velcro strap (important*) has survived all the abuse I pounded upon it in the last ten to fifteen years (I forget exactly) - including smashing the face into the side of a yacht when a younger me slipped off the trapeze.

Nuke 'cos I think it would survive that as well.

Unfortunately the backlight went in January and the battery went for the second time a couple of months back, so I'll be replacing it soon with another similar one.

* My skin eats the rubberised plastic straps, destroying them and giving me eczema, so I can't use them.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Don't buy a crap watch

I hated watches with a passion until I was given one with a decent band that didn't need a battery or setting. It sets itself through WWV every night, and charges with a solar cell behind the face. The band is one that doesn't get sticky, doesn't get slimy, doesn't slide around, and doesn't rip out arm hair.

You don't buy a cheap shit computer, do you? Same goes for watches.

I'm not one for watches, rings, bracelets, necklaces, ties, or any of that crap. I only started wearing the thing because it was a nice gift, then I discovered it wasn't an annoyance like all my Timex or Casio garbage.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Don't buy a crap watch

That watch... name, model and/or link please!

1. Novex

I have a similar watch, though it's by Casio. It uses solar power, has worldwide wireless time update, and, at least for me, doesn't rip hairs out of my arm when I take it off. Mine's quite old but still in the current line-up: WVM120J-1, http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/wave_ceptor/

Not an advert, just a satisfied customer.

1. zaax

wave-ceptor - useless piece of crap took it 2 days to work out I was in New York.

1. Novex

Wave-ceptors are programmed to check for the time transmission every 24 hours, mine at around 0100 GMT. If it misses the signal for any reason, it won't retry. It can however be manually updated at any time, so with that caveat, it works fine (for me at least).

2. Roadkill
        Go

I really love my Citizen AT4010-50E.

Solar powered, "atomic time" via radio reception (automatic sync nightly, but can be manually triggered as well), titanium body/band, and nigh-unscratchable sapphire face.

1. Bronek Kozicki

I like to collect watches no one else would, and in my small collection I have two Casio wave ceptors (one steel and another titanium) and a Citizen similar to one above (without titanium body). Casios are lighter, but Citizen is nice too although larger and not quite as readable. They all show accurate to 1s time without need to bother about daylight time changes, batteries etc. - just keep them next to window where radio signal is good and there's enough light to maintain charge.

I also travelled with all of them (at different times) on the other side of pond, and one has to remember to change home city (which is simpler in Citizen) to have accurate time soon after arrival.

Titanium watch is worst for wear after only 1 year of use - it turns out it's actually very soft metal. Unless treated with special coating which my Casio watch does not have.

2. DropBear
      WTF?

I for one am perfectly happy with my electro-mechanical Casio bought literally decades ago. Has the date right on my wrist, still waterproof after several battery changes (as in liberally submerged, no problem), re-set twice a year for DST shenanigans and never more than one minute off (don't know exactly how much less, I just don't bother). If it keeps this up, may well be the last watch I'll ever need...

4. Frankee Llonnygog

Tut

Resorting to profanity and schoolboy smut in a pathetic attempt to garner cheap laughs...

Works for me. More please.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Tut

And I do it in public every Saturday morning.

5. Mage Silver badge

Yuck?

Er ...

I wonder what someone with too much time spare will do with Dentures. Or body piercing studs/bars/rings. Or suspenders, or hair clips or bands.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Happy

Built in time server?

During the day, I am pretty much surrounded by time sources and I always know the time. However, waking up in the middle of the night, I seem to know what the time is within 5-10 minutes.

As far as wearing a watch, I think I've owned 3 including the knock off Mickey Mouse watch I received as a birthday gift when I was 6. I've always worked in jobs detrimental to watches, 20+ years in restaurants, 15+ years in IT. You might ask why IT is detrimental to watches? Think server racks, UPS and those odd shaped appliances, scraping skin, and busting watch bands....

Love all the multiple entrandres!

7. thomas k.

Cunt Dracula

A tampon of some sort? (Please don't make me go look at a picture. 8/ )

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cunt Dracula

Trust me - it's worse. What is seen cannot be unseen. Thanks for that Dabbsy!

1. deadlockvictim

Just think of Vlad the Impaler and what he did. Less blood, though.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Trust me - it's worse."

Yeah, you probably don't want to click on the "Testers Wanted" in the main menu bar either.

2. illiad

dont be a wimp and look! If you did not KNOW its a dildo, you would thinks its part of your kids puppet set...

8. xperroni
    Windows

The case for a smartwatch

I lived The Time Before Cellphones, and I was pretty much used to have a wristwatch on me except during a bath and after going to bed. At the time I liked them a whole deal more than mobile phones, for which I felt no desire or need when they first became mainstream; in fact at the beginning I actively resisted owning one, only giving in after repeated (and more than a bit pushy) offers from my parents.

For years after that I tried to keep the habit of wearing a wristwatch, but ultimately failed to find any justification to have a second timepiece, given the phone I was forced to carry already could tell the time, wake me up at set times, remind me of appointments, work as calculator etc. The couple extra seconds it would take to fish it from my pocket didn't prove to be enough of a bother, giving I was never in such a hurry to know the time, and for most of my day I would stand in front of a computer screen with a clock right there in the corner anyway.

You see, it's not that I didn't like wristwatches, or never had the chance to try one and see how nice they are. It's that as long as I own a reasonably-sized smartphone that fits well into my trousers' front pockets, the economic case for a wrist-mounted device will remain pretty weak. Maybe if smartphone makers commit themselves to only marketing oversized monstrosities that can only be carried on a briefcase, backpack or man-purse (an oxymoron?) I might be swayed back, but until then my wrist will remain a no-device's land.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The case for a smartwatch

It's obvious that very few people nowadays walk dogs in the rain, which is when I mostly need a watch and don't want to dig my phone out of a pocket (phone is waterproof, open pocket isn't.)

1. xperroni
        Holmes

It's obvious that very few people nowadays walk dogs in the rain

And that is just one reason I'm a cat person.

Seriously though, there are of course a number of activities where a wristwatch is a more convenient timepiece than a pocket gadget, which might explain why they're still around. But for many people, me among them, they provide no added value. By all means, though, if you have cause to wear a wristwatch, or just like the things, buy them to your heart's content, I won't judge.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thank you for your kind permission. I expect to be patronised by cat people, so no surprises there.

9. jake Silver badge

The only jewelry I wear is my Wedding ring.

And that comes off when I'm working.

I can see the time damn near anywhere I look these days, watches are superfluous (unless I'm diving).

1. DryBones

Re: The only jewelry I wear is my Wedding ring.

Arc-heating hazard, I imagine.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Induction heating, more likely.

At one time I did use a little induction welder for making some small assemblies (think thermocouples). Do not do this while wearing a watch. Not enough stray energy to heat a ring, quite enough to bugger up a balance spring.

2. Chris Evans

I don't wear a watch and can't wear my Wedding Ring after breaking that finger:-(

My computer has the time on the screen, my car has it on the dash and almost every room I'm ever in has a clock so I almost never have to get my phone out to read the time. When I did wear a watch I find it very relaxing taking it off when I got home.

Watches are a thing of the past as far as I'm concerned.

3. jake Silver badge

In reply to several (was: Re: The only jewelry I wear is my Wedding ring.)

A friend made a mistake. See this post:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/670569

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You wrote this entire article simply as an excuse to write 'Cunt Dracula'. I wrote this entire comment for exactly the same reason.

There are too few opportunities in life for this sort of chance, so I thank you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What a shame, my CPU aborted before reaching that jewel. This whole piece could have been averted had the author invested in a handbag whose contents then would only have become known to those whose role it is to keep us safe and free from sin.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Da yoof" buy plenty of watches, and old duffers like us...

...also use their phones as time peices. Although the miserable old git style of writing fits right in at El Reg! :p Nice one.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Da yoof" buy plenty of watches, and old duffers like us...

...also worth remembering that even the Spectrum and C64 owners are now in their mid to late 40's (assuming average age was about 12 at launch time 34 years ago) so this "older people don't get computers/gadgets thing is starting to get a bit stale now. Most people of that vintage will have had some exposure to computers since secondary school days since the BBC computer starting going into schools then too.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: "Da yoof" buy plenty of watches, and old duffers like us...

Indeed. http://goo.gl/aB3Umw

12. silent_count

Pocket Billiards

My darling girlfriend bought me a cheap but functioning pocket watch to compliment my Mad Hatter halloween costume. Now every time someone asks me the time I have an excuse to fondle my nipple region wearing an expression of near-orgasmic bliss until enquirer gets uncomfortable and goes away. Should they endure through my performance, I finally retrieve the watch from my pocket before telling them I forgot to wind it this morning (or any morning, but they don't need to know that).

1. The First Dave

Re: Pocket Billiards

Why would your wastecoat have a pocket in the nipple region?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Territory

Over the years when observing the people who behave like AD I've assumed that it's a territorial thing - the contractor comes in and spreads his personal bits around to create his personal space, in a way which wouldn't work if he brought out a set of family photos and a fluffy penguin toy. One contractor I remember seemed to need several external hard drives, three laptops, two iPhones, an iPad and a BlackBerry, along with car keys. It's the equivalent of the sort of military officer who seems to be unable to be interviewed except behind a sea of ribbons and scrambled egg.

However, if it is because AD gets sweaty, this puts an altogether different complexion on the matter.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon